1. Please give an overview of your role and what this involves on a day-to-day basis:
My role at the moment is a warehouse operative whilst shadowing the managers one day a week. This means I am gaining an understanding of the different roles and responsibilities of everyone in the warehouse whilst also gaining an understanding of what is expected of managers and how they carry out their job.
2. Have you learnt any new skills or developed existing skills?
Yes, the main skill I have learnt is communication. As in this job I work alongside a lot of European nationals and so I have had to adapt the way I approach certain topics or conversations so that I know we are all on the same page. I have also learnt what to prioritise.
3. To what extent do you enjoy your programme?
I am enjoying my programme. After having to change a couple of suppliers inn the past couple of years through reasons outside of my control, it is nice to see this course is more professional. I am also enjoying completing the course alongside other apprentices at my organisation. it makes it easier to use examples from our workplace.
4. How well organised/structured is your programme?
Very well structured. especially compared to previous programmes I have been on. the majority of our course have given us the correct information we need in order to complete our assignments. Even though one of our course dates was cancelled, it was quickly rearranged to a date that suited us.
5. How much support do you receive from your employer?
I receive support from my employer, however talking to other apprentices on the same course, I am finding I am not getting as much time as I should to complete the coursework in time. However if there is any a time where I require information in relation to my assignment, they are happy to assist.
6. How much support do you receive from your training provider when working towards your qualifications?
A lot of very helpful support. Every skills coach I have had have been very helpful, whether its dealing with a query I have or just checking over some work I have done. I have had several skills coaches with QA but I have been helped through the process of handing over details very smoothly.
7. How well do you feel that your qualification (through your training provider) helps you to perform better in your role?
It has given my new ideas to approach different scenarios in work. I have learnt that everything I do, from the way I am sat to the tone of my voice, is noticed and can come across completely different to how I would like it. I have also gained a lot of confidence.
8. Are there extra-curricular activities to get involved in at your work? (For example, any social activities, sports teams, or even professional networking events.)
There are a couple of events a year but they are across our whole network of sites. there are very few that actually happen at this site. It is perhaps because we are a relatively small site but it is something I have addressed to my managers but also I have included it in my assignments.
9a. Would you recommend Gist Ltd to a friend?
There are lots of opportunities to progress at this company. What I have found is that if you are a quick learner and get noticed you are likely to have a good chance of getting a promotion. Even if that means you have to move sites, there are always opportunities.
10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Gist Ltd?
Don't be put off by the working conditions as they are quite different to normal, in that we work in a chiller. Our site has a reputation for being a friendly site meaning the staff are easy to get along with. We have an above average number of female workers in the warehouse as well.