Product Design Apprentice at Transport for London

4th November 2015

Connect with Transport for London

Assisting in the product design process, including: attending meetings with suppliers and other areas of the business; creating technical drawings, generating ideas, learning new software and skills on the way.

Yes. Learnt how to use Adobe Illustrator software.

Learning how to use 3D Software.

Very much, especially enjoy being involved in real projects.

I enjoy getting feedback and improving my work and being part of a large organisation within the small Product Design team.

4. How valued do you feel by Transport for London?

My manager and the team is pleased with my performance so far. I really enjoy my work being sent to manufacturers and designing real projects. I feel TfL really value their employees well-being and my team appreciates my hard work

I think my programme is well organised, I have an assessor who comes to review my progress once a fortnight and my team are very good at giving me constructive criticism and feedback to help me constantly improve, I feel involved in a variety of projects.

I receive a good am amount of support with my apprenticeship through feedback on my assessments which I find really helpful

I receive a good amount of support through my employer, we have regular team meetings to discuss ongoing projects and I have one to one meetings with my manager once a fortnight to discuss any personal work related issues I may be encountering. I feel very well supported in my role and I feel that my manager is very inclusive.

The salary is excellent for an Apprentice, 16000 a year is more than I am personally used to and helps to cover my rent costs a lot better than the minimum wage, the nominee travel pass has also been a huge saving (£50 a week) and my own free Oyster card allows me to get to meetings easily even if I don't use it to travel elsewhere (I cycle to work).

I have been recently invited to meetings with the Design Network at TfL which i feel is an excellent opportunity to discuss good and bad design going on around us and how we can ensure we deliver the best design.

9a. Would you recommend Transport for London to a friend? *

A great, inclusive company with a rich heritage who really values its employees. It is a public organisation and therefore does not run for a profit, but for the good of the general public.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Transport for London? *

Work hard and learn along the way and you will be greatly appreciated.