maintenance technician at Caterpillar

North East
February 2018

10 /10

My role as a maintenance technician is to keep the factory running basically. It involves maintaining and repairing equipment and machines. At the moment I am on a Rota where on a morning I am repairing welding harnesses and also replenishing the harnesses on the shop floor

Since starting college I thought I had learned a lot, however that was just the fundamentals. However, when arriving at work and after being there for months I have learned a lot more.

I have enjoyed this programme since day one as it was new to me and it's great knowing that I am part of a team.

4. How valued do you feel by Caterpillar?

I feel everyone at caterpillar take pride in working for caterpillar so I feel I am in a good workplace and take pride of working here too. In the apprenticeship scheme you get a lot of recognition for what you do.

The scheme is great. The company make sure you are fully trained and aware of everything that is happening. Although I haven't needed support. There is always support there if you need it.

As an apprentice you get a lot of support due to the trainers being friendly and in the past they have been apprentices so they know what it feels like.

The manager, hr team and mentors are all there to support you and you can seek help via these people due to them being friendly.

Living on the doorstep is ideal for me to work at caterpillar and they pay is also good for an apprentice.

There is lots of activities to do outside of work. For example, stem events, business ambassador and trips.

9. Would you recommend Caterpillar to a friend?

All round great apprenticeship.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Caterpillar?

Be confident in interviews and don't be afraid to take the role as a leader in a group activity.