Mechanical Fitter at Caterpillar

North East
February 2018

10 /10

My job title is a mechanical fitter, my job entails tasks such as diagnosing problems with trucks that are not working as intended then rectifying the problem when it is found. I attend college once a week to do the academic side of the apprenticeship and i get a mentor while at work to continue with the hands on experience.

My problem solving skills have developed a lot since i started as that is a main part of the job i do. I would say ive learnt a lot of hands on skills that i didnt have a lot of knowledge on before.

I enjoy coming to work every day, this makes the whole apprenticeship program a lot better for me. As a company I feel like Caterpillar value their apprentices and take any feedback and try to make the program as best as they can for us.

4. How valued do you feel by Caterpillar?

I feel like my opinion is valued by everyone. They understand that everything can be improved so if I had an idea to improve the apprenticeship program they are more than happy to listen and take feedback on how to improve something.

There is a specific manager of apprentices as a whole. The manager deals with everything to do with apprentices meaning everything is very organised. Any support that i needed i would be able to get whenever.

I would be able to get support if i needed it in any way. If it was to do with college our manager would find a way to help us out by either getting us additional courses or finding someone to explain something.

Managers and mentors are understanding that at first you wont know a lot. They help you and build you as a person until the day when you can work by yourself, if you need any help they are more than happy to answer a question on it.

The salary is very good. I earn enough to do everything that i want to do and have money left over to treat myself if i wanted to. The location is very close to me meaning travel costs are low however the salary supports people even if they live far away. This increases every year.

As a business ambassador I am asked to do events a lot such as careers fairs to help recruit the next years apprentices.

9. Would you recommend Caterpillar to a friend?

I feel like they are a very good company to work for with all of the support and help i have got in my time here.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Caterpillar?

Be confident and prepare before coming. Try to do something that will make you stand out from the rest.