Robot Technician at Caterpillar

North East
February 2018

10 /10

My job title is a Robot Technician. As part of my daily tasks I have to fix and maintain robots in order to keep the line moving. I interact with all employees daily as well as shadowing a fully trained robot technician. I go out to schools regularly and promote apprenticeships. As part of my apprenticeship I have many responsibilities, such as; time keeping and punctuality. I have a project on going at college, it involves redesigning a jig. I enjoy working.

Overall I have developed a number of new skills since starting my apprenticeship, such as welding, fabrication and programming.

I greatly enjoy my apprenticeship, the level of experience gained is fantastic. The company is great. Caterpillar offer a shares and pension scheme for all apprenticeships which I like. Caterpillar met and surpassed all my expectations. I really enjoy it.

4. How valued do you feel by Caterpillar?

I feel very valued by Caterpillar. They treat all the apprentices very well. All the management team treat me well, offering any help and support I need.

Overall the program is very well organized and well structured. The training and support is great.

My training provider provides a huge amount of support and guidance.

My employer also provides a great level of support. Management, HR and my mentor all help and support me.

For a second year apprentice, my wage is very good. I manage to pay for all of my expenses including living, travel and daily costs.

Outside of work there a numerous opportunities to promote apprenticeships. There are team building exercises.

9. Would you recommend Caterpillar to a friend?

Caterpillar is a great company with many opportunities to go higher within the company. I would recommend Caterpillar to a friend.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Caterpillar?

Be very positive.