1. Please give an overview of your role and what this involves on a day-to-day basis:
I observed dentists in the paediatric department of the hospital carrying out treatment on child patients. I observed both in the usual clinic and orthodontic clinic for complex cases.
2. Have you learnt any new skills or developed existing skills?
I learnt to communicate with patients better and I learnt how to act as a professional. I also learnt to give better oral hygiene advice by listening to the dentists.
3. To what extent do you enjoy your programme?
I found the work experience to be enjoyable as I enjoyed working with patients and seeing their confidence grow. I could tell that at times it was stressful for the dentists as there was a lot of paperwork and people were running around, but the atmosphere made the experience more enjoyable.
4. How valued do you feel by NHS South London?
As the department were happy to have me and respected me, I felt that I was more valued by the staff and less of an inconvenience.
5. How well organised/structured is your programme?
There wasn't a lot of structure at the work experience but this is to be expected as each day is different. However there were always orthodontic clinics and paediatric clinics running and the days were always filled with patients. I would sit with any dentist who had a suitable patient to observe
6a. How much support do you receive from your training provider?
The dentists were always happy to answer any questions I had and had useful tips to give me.
6b. How much support do you receive from your employer?
Was not employed at the time.
7. How well does your salary/package meet your costs?
N/a - no salary
8. Are there many opportunities outside of work?
There were few opportunities to visit other departments which is fine as I was only interested in the dental department.
9. Would you recommend NHS South London to a friend?
The atmosphere was friendly and the senior staff treated me as an equal, as well as providing tips
10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to NHS South London?
To apply straight to the consultant and apply early enough to get a spot.
More from NHS South LondonMore Reviews Company Profile
Get personalised jobs straight to your inbox
Save time job hunting - get tailored job opportunities sent straight to you!