Work Experience at NHS South London

Central London & City
May 2017

I observed dentists in the paediatric department of the hospital carrying out treatment on child patients. I observed both in the usual clinic and orthodontic clinic for complex cases.

I learnt to communicate with patients better and I learnt how to act as a professional. I also learnt to give better oral hygiene advice by listening to the dentists.

I found the work experience to be enjoyable as I enjoyed working with patients and seeing their confidence grow. I could tell that at times it was stressful for the dentists as there was a lot of paperwork and people were running around, but the atmosphere made the experience more enjoyable.

4. How valued do you feel by NHS South London?

As the department were happy to have me and respected me, I felt that I was more valued by the staff and less of an inconvenience.

There wasn't a lot of structure at the work experience but this is to be expected as each day is different. However there were always orthodontic clinics and paediatric clinics running and the days were always filled with patients. I would sit with any dentist who had a suitable patient to observe

The dentists were always happy to answer any questions I had and had useful tips to give me.

Was not employed at the time.

N/a - no salary

There were few opportunities to visit other departments which is fine as I was only interested in the dental department.

9. Would you recommend NHS South London to a friend?

The atmosphere was friendly and the senior staff treated me as an equal, as well as providing tips

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to NHS South London?

To apply straight to the consultant and apply early enough to get a spot.