Trainee at NHS South London

Central London & City
Competitive
May 2017

Work in the hospitals to ensure that I could complete all my relevent coursework with the clinical staff and patients. Spend time in the labs

Managed to achieve the qualification I was after so that was good. Also achieved my basic first aid as well as other things like moving and handling patients.

It was nice to work in the hospitals and clinical spaces for numerous days a week to be able to put into practice, made me feel like part of the team.

4. How valued do you feel by NHS South London?

Me and my manager were really close by the end so this made it easier to go into work each day. Being a member of the team meant I felt valued.

Very well organised. Started off with a good induction week and the training was ongoing, I always knew where I needed to be which was different to some friends.

My tutor was easily contactable via email and this worked well as I didn't really need them much, but was nice to know I could meet if needed.

My manager/supervisor met with me at least once a week and I was able to contact them more if needed, or just ask another member of the team if I needed to.

It was a bit basic and not as much as I would have liked living in London, but meant things like travel and basic food costs were covered whilst learning.

Working in the hospital meant I could do bank work in other things if I wanted to but the NHS is very limited in things like special events etc.

9. Would you recommend NHS South London to a friend?

Was a nice placement and helped me to achieve my qualification without any major worries. The money helped which was more than if I went to study A-levels.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to NHS South London?

Make sure you keep tracking your application and keep checking your emails regularly. It took quite a long time so I had to chase some things up occasionally.