by Markel International
Who are Markel?
Welcome to Markel where we take great pride in what we do. To us, insurance isn’t just a policy - it’s a vital promise that gives people and businesses the confidence to move forward, each and every day. Here, you’ll find exceptional people, without the ego. People who’ll bring out your best, and support you at every step, because it’s who we are and the secret to our success.
We are a leading global speciality insurer with a truly people first-approach. With over 5,000 employees across the globe, finding creative solutions for complex risks is our passion. And our broad array of tools and knowledge allows us to create tailored coverage solutions for even the most complex needs.
Our international business is made up of two core divisions: Wholesale and National Markets, through these we offer innovative products and services. Our international business is located throughout UK, Europe, Canada and Asia Pacific.
We pride ourselves on having accessible leadership, an inclusive culture and a focus on empowerment. This is brought to life through our employee led networks ‘The Style In Action’, which are centred around inclusion, community, well-being, recognition and innovation.
We’ve come a long way since Sam Markel dreamed big in 1930, but in our eyes, our journey is just getting started. Come see what you can achieve by applying for one of our open vacancies.
We’re all about people | We win together | We strive for better | We enjoy the everyday | We think further
We have an excellent opportunity to join our Legal & Compliance department during an expansion period of the business, both in the UK and internationally. We are looking for an enthusiastic individual who will support the compliance team across a wide range of areas including financial crime, global licensing, and relevant regulatory related matters.
Throughout the Compliance Administrator Apprenticeship with Markel, you will gain exposure to several areas of the Compliance department. You will be surrounded by and friendly and collaborative team who will support you in completing your Level 3 Compliance Officer Apprenticeship.
What you’ll be doing
- Learning about the insurance industry, how it is regulated, how firms are governed and the importance of compliance to corporate success.
- Helping organise the team through the team planner, diaries, annual leave and compliance trackers.
- Ensuring that response timeframes are met for any complaints.
- Support with the production of presentations and papers by gathering the necessary data and formatting using Word, Excel, Powerpoint as required.
- Helping construct various important, business wide reports e.g. regulatory queries, upcoming Regulatory Developments, exceptions and Compliance metrics.
- Analysis of Sanctions queries using screening software.
- Assisting the team with Broker TOBA requests – preparing agreements, answering queries and maintaining the TOBA database.
- Aiding the business in meeting regulatory deadlines.
- Dealing with correspondence and general departmental queries.
- Assist team members in the completion of key and ad hoc projects.
- Organising Compliance away/focus days alongside senior management.
What’s in it for you
- You’ll get support every step of the way – we know that starting out in a new role and industry can be daunting, but Markel’s ego-free environment gives you all the support that you need to go further and achieve great things.
- Your development doesn’t just stop after your programme. Markel are committed to you and your long-term career -there are countless opportunities to learn new skills and develop in your career and we can provide the support needed to do just that!
- A genuine culture of camaraderie - at Markel, our shared values aren’t buzzwords. We really mean what we say in the Markel Style, and walk the talk, every day.
- Enjoy your free coffee as you admire 360 degree views of London from our office on the 27th floor of the Walkie Talkie building!
- Be part of our growing early careers community – through 121 buddy support, socials and other events you will have every opportunity to network and build great relationships with your peers both inside and outside of Markel.
- Competitive starting salary with an excellent package - including; private medical insurance, financial education, hybrid work structure, gym discounts, cycle-to-work scheme, motor breakdown cover, income protection and additional countless benefits that will be shared at the first stage of the process!
Our must haves
Markel are looking for candidates who:
- Possess good IT (Microsoft Office) skills including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook and the ability to learn in-house systems.
- Can build and maintain relationships with colleagues through strong written and verbal communication.
- Demonstrate a proactive attitude and are keen to grow within the company.
- Are able to work well independently but are not afraid to ask questions when necessary.
- Have high levels of attention to detail and can work in a logical and thorough manner.
- Display strong interpersonal skills, able to be an effective team member and work cross-functionally.
- Are able to network internally/externally to acquire and implement knowledge.
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to the organisation, team and role, always looking for ways to improve Markel’s compliance framework.
- Always ensure a high level of integrity and discretion, as confidentiality and sensitivity must be maintained.
- Are always looking for ways to innovate and improve what we do, because anything less than the best, just won’t do.
- Are proactive, hardworking and committed to making a meaningful difference everyday
- Have achieved, or are predicted, 3 A-levels grade C or above /BTEC grades equivalent to 96 UCAS points.
- Achieved GCSE Maths and English at Grade 4 or C or above (or equivalent qualification).
Are you ready to play your part?
- It only takes 30 seconds to register your interest in these roles, and we’ll support you throughout the full application process.
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button.
Applications may close before the deadline, so please apply early to avoid disappointment.