Business Development Apprenticeship
Business Development Apprenticeship
At Howdens, we take immense pride in being recognised as a leading employer of apprentices. Our commitment to nurturing talent and creating long-term career opportunities is evident through our placement in the prestigious Top 100 Apprenticeship Employers table in both 2022 and 2023.
As an integral part of our workforce, we are seeking talented individuals to join our award-winning apprenticeship scheme and help drive our business forward. The Apprentice Business Developer role offers a unique opportunity to receive comprehensive on-the-job training and expert support from a leading training provider while pursuing a Level 2 Customer Service Practitioner Apprenticeship. The program typically spans 12 to 15 months.
As a Business Developer, you will play a pivotal role in building relationships with new and existing customers, using telephone sales techniques to generate business and encourage new leads.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Provide potential and existing customers with the highest level of customer service and support the wider sales team in generating and chasing leads.
- Focus on effective customer account management, aiming to increase the company’s customer base and develop long term collaborative relationships within the building trade.
- Maintain up to date product and industry knowledge
- Use creative marketing materials to promote Howdens products, depot events and sales periods to new and existing customers
- Keep in touch with both depots lead banks regularly via the telephone and using our customer engagement messaging tool
- Develop long term collaborative relationships with customers
- Proactively gain new accounts, repeat business, and generate qualified leads for the team through outgoing sales calls
- Process sales for customers using the in store payment systems, quoting correct pricing, delivery date and stock requirements.
We are looking for people with the following qualities who want to learn new skills in a Depot environment:
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to build strong relationships
- Good customer service skills
- Target driven
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to work autonomously and use own initiative
- Effective planning and organising abilities
- Capability to prioritise and manage own workload effectively
- A strong desire for continuous personal and professional development.
- The right to work in the UK and related evidence
Please note - if you have considerable experience in a similar role, you may not be suitable for an apprenticeship. If you already have experience and are looking for a full time role please visit careers.howdens.com to see our non-apprenticeship opportunities.
- Customer Service Practitioner Level 2 - Intermediate Apprenticeship
- Training provided by our in-house Learning & Development Team
- Support from external training providers
- A 15-month program, including a minimum 12-month learning period and end-point assessment
- Apprentices without Level 1 English and maths qualifications will be supported in achieving this level before undertaking the Level 2 English and maths test for the end-point assessment and apprenticeship completion
Rewards and Benefits
We believe in recognising and rewarding the hard work and dedication of our team members. In return for your commitment, you will receive:
- A competitive £15,000 salary.
- Paid holiday entitlement.
- A generous matched contribution Pension Scheme.
- Team incentives and outings.
- Staff discount on Howdens products
Howdens Joinery is the UK's premier trade kitchen supplier, offering a vast range of products in kitchens, joinery, and hardware. With over 800 depots across the UK and Europe, we have earned the trust of more than 460,000 loyal trade professionals. Our ambitious growth agenda and entrepreneurial ethos make us an exciting place to build a career. Our dedication to our people has earned us recognition as one of the 10 Best Big Companies to Work For.
Howdens is founded on the principle of being Worthwhile for ALL concerned. We’re working hard to ensure we provide an inclusive environment where everyone feels welcome. We will do everything we can to support you during your application.
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button.
Please note that applications may close before the application deadline, so apply early to avoid disappointment.