- 1. Please give an overview of your role and what this involves on a day-to-day basis:
- 2. Have you learnt any new skills or developed existing skills?
- 3. To what extent do you enjoy your programme?
- 4. How well organised/structured is your programme?
- 5. How much support do you receive from your employer?
- 6. How much support do you receive from your training provider when working towards your qualifications?
- 7. How well do you feel that your qualification (through your training provider) helps you to perform better in your role?
- 8. Are there extra-curricular activities to get involved in at your work? (For example, any social activities, sports teams, or even professional networking events.)
- 9a. Would you recommend Balfour Beatty to a friend?
- 9b. Why?
- 10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Balfour Beatty?
I am involved in the testing of concrete, concrete specimens, bituminous materials, aggregates, etc. I work on a shift basis, (night shift, back shift and day shift )as our site operates 24/7. I am part of a team of over 20 technicians involved in the laboratories on the Thames Tideway West JV project.
I have learnt a lot since starting at Balfour Beatty. I have learnt the value of communication, working as a team and doing the best I possibly can. My communication skills have increased massively as I often find myself in situations where I have to talk to different people involved in different parts of the project.
I am enjoying the programme a lot. It has opened my eyes as I was skeptical about undergoing an apprenticeship at first, however I feel that this scheme will set me up for life, I am learning and earning money, while building connections and bonds with my co-workers. It has been great so far.
The programme is structured very well. We are allocated 20% off the job time. This is time in which we can complete our coursework and any other apprenticeship related work that needs to be completed. We have periodic catch-ups with our tutor, who has also been great, and we are very well supported in our workplace.
I receive a lot of support from my employer. We are treated very well, while not expecting too much from us output wise at the beginning, they slowly eased us apprentices into the testing side of the job. We have had lots of time to learn about the testing and make sure we are able to do it correctly before we are expected to carry out testing. Communication is also very good from management.
Our training provider has been very helpful. We have clear deadlines for our work, and if we ever have any questions or need some advice our tutors are easy to contact and happy to help. We are encouraged to take the 20% off the job time that we are allocated and use it the best we can.
I would recommend Balfour Beatty very heavily. They have been great in assisting me with my development. They are one of the biggest names in my industry and are recognised worldwide as a powerhouse. They have lots of work and there are lots of opportunities to progress in the company.
I would advise people to stand out. Balfour Beatty are very keen to employ people who they believe can make a difference through the work they do and the impact that they have on their peers. I would also encourage them to research the company first and learn about their status within the industry and cater to them.
Level 3 Apprenticeship