1. Please give an overview of your role and what this involves on a day-to-day basis:
I work on a team that handles the administration of several occupational pension schemes. My day-to-day work consists of monitoring client email folders, taking member phone calls and answering any queries they may have regarding their pension, monitoring client deadlines to ensure that they are met, managing the bank account for the various pension schemes to ensure we have enough money for things such as paying pensioners and producing quotations for members.
2. Have you learnt any new skills or developed existing skills?
My excel skills have improved a lot from when I first started as well as my written and verbal communication skills e.g. confidence when speaking on the telephone. Barnett Waddingham offer lots of different training courses on various topics which makes it very easy to learn new skills and develop existing ones.
3. To what extent do you enjoy your programme?
I have enjoyed my apprenticeship for many reasons. The people within Barnett Waddingham are all very friendly and easy to get along with which makes for a very pleasant working environment. The work is also varied which keeps you engaged and learning new things. Barnett Waddingham also understand the importance of the work-life balance which means you can do your work and leave on time.
4. How well organised/structured is your programme?
Overall, I would say that it was fairly well organised, however, as I was part of the first batch of apprentices that BW took on, there were some kinks that arose. These have now been dealt with and I'm sure any new apprentices would find their path in the apprenticeship programme very clear and laid out.
5. How much support do you receive from your employer?
Barnett Waddingham were willing to provide as much as I required. All my co-workers were more than happy to answer any questions I had. I also believe that you receive more than enough support for the exams that you have to take as part of the apprenticeship.
6. How much support do you receive from your training provider when working towards your qualifications?
The training provider provided lots of support and were available to answer and questions I had.
7. How well do you feel that your qualification (through your training provider) helps you to perform better in your role?
The qualifications are on subjects that you will use on a regularly within your role and completing them helped me gain a better understanding around the things I was doing on a daily basis.
8. Are there extra-curricular activities to get involved in at your work? (For example, any social activities, sports teams, or even professional networking events.)
Barnett Waddingham offer lots of extra activities such as payday drinks and sports tournaments between the different offices.
9a. Would you recommend Barnett Waddingham to a friend?
I would recommend working for Barnett Waddingham because the staff are all extremely friendly and the company has a great working culture that allows you to work in stress free environment.
10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Barnett Waddingham?
Ask as many questions as possible as it will help you learn faster and nobody will mind.