Actuarial Analyst at Aon

Start Date:
2017
Location:
Central London & City
Programme Type:
Apprenticeship - Higher Level (Level 4/5)
Salary:
£22,300 annually
Review Date:
April 2019

Review Score

7.9 /10

1. Please give an overview of your role and what this involves on a day-to-day basis:

8/10

My role as an Actuarial Analyst at Aon consists of working on different client teams to help manage the risk that private pension schemes hold in terms of the amount they have to pay to their pensioners. This can involve managing queries such as transfer values, or retirement quotes that members would request when they want to transfer out of the scheme or retire.

2. Have you learnt any new skills or developed existing skills?

8/10

Throughout my time at Aon, I have learnt various skills such as ways of communicating. I am more capabale of communicating with my colleagues, this ties in with being more confident. I have also gained technical skills such as using Excel and other Microsoft Office packages, as well as having some knowledge about bespoke excel functions and working with spreadsheets.

3. To what extent do you enjoy your programme?

7/10

I enjoy the technical part of the programme as it involves a lot of maths, and Excel spreadsheets. This is more of the work that I enjoy. There are some types of work that I don't mind doing, but don't particularly enjoy such as monthly billing for some of my clients.

4. How well organised/structured is your programme?

8/10

The Actuarial Apprenticeship is structured well, and I already had an outline of the next 2 years when I started my Apprenticeship with Aon. The apprenticeship consists of 75% on the job learning and working, and the remainder of my 25% time is linked with personal development, training, studying and my logbook criteria which link towards my end point assessment.

5. How much support do you receive from your employer?

8/10

Aon provides a lot of support whether this be in terms of studying, workload, or other things. In terms of studying Aon have given me 8 study days and tutorials which they have enlisted the help of BPP Actuarial Education Limited who have provided videos, study guides, tutorials which have helped me to pass Modules 0 and 1 of the Certified Actuarial Analyst qualification.

6. How much support do you receive from your training provider when working towards your qualifications?

8/10

The training provider has helped me with various things such as how to manage workload, helping me with my logbook criteria which go towards my end point assesment as well as how to improve and get better with my logbook writing. They have also supported me in terms of studying and provided help when I had a bit of a drop in studying.

7. How well do you feel that your qualification (through your training provider) helps you to perform better in your role?

8/10

My qualification has allowed me to imrpove my writing skills, and to also become more confident as a person. There are 100 criteria I need to do which tick off various things such as behaviourial, technical etc. These cover things like knowing the key stakeholders, to writing a report, working with technical models and presenting.

8. Are there extra-curricular activities to get involved in at your work? (For example, any social activities, sports teams, or even professional networking events.)

8/10

The company has a Aon Fives day every year during Summer in which football/netball teams can take part from different offices. The company also has a lot of networking events such as the speed networking event I had attended. This allowed me to introduce myself to various senior consultants and ask them about their experiences. It gives a chance for me to talk to senior people who I perhaps may not have had a chance to talk to.

9a. Would you recommend Aon to a friend?

Yes

9b. Why?

I enjoy the work ethics and culture that Aon enlists, and is ,keen on pushing out and improving. I like the way the culture works and Aon is pushing for more diversity and helps a lot of charities. I also like the fact that Aon offer a lot of training and have been supportive throughout my time at Aon.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Aon?

I would suggest that you should perhaps look into the role you are applying further and see if it is right for you. Try to learn more about the Company's culture and their work ethic, and find out as much as you can as it will help you in the interview process. You can even perhaps try linking with consultants if you're interested in the Actuarial profession.

More from Aon

More Reviews Company Profile

Get personalised jobs straight to your inbox

Save time job hunting - get tailored job opportunities sent straight to you!

Recruiting? See how we can help you