Smart futures programme at EY

Birmingham
20th August 2017

Connect with EY

8.3/10

As part of the smart futures programme, I was selected to be in the EY office for two weeks, during the two weeks I had to meet new people, network and learn from different people. Also, we had to do presentations and pitches to diffferent people about the subject we learned each day and we received feedback on how we can improve for next time. Because my role was as a student I had a learning log for the two weeks which was to be completed so some of the days were spent trying to answer and complete the booklet in order to finish the task.

Being at the smart futures programme has really benefitted me because I have learnt and developed many skills, for instance because I am a fairly confident person I was capable of approaching and meeting new people, but being a part of the smart futures programme it has really awoken me on how to approach not just peers but professionals and seniors formally. Also I have developed my presentation skills as before it just speaking for the sake of speaking but now it's more to do with putting enthusiasm and passion behind it and including my body language to really engage with the audiences.

I have really loved being at EY, it has been one of the best work experiences I have done, the people there are really friendly and the atmosphere isn't dull. It's acceptable to have a laugh and a joke as long as the work gets done so I definetly would recommend this programme as I absolutely loved it and I am hoping to go back through a graduate scheme.

4. How valued do you feel by EY?

All the members at EY really made us feel welcomed and it really felt like there were not just seniors but our colleagues and friends

The smart futures was really well organised by the professionals as we had a pre plan of our days even before we started the programme, so when attending the programme everything went to plan and was worthwhile, however there were a few IT difficulties which slowed down things.

I actually received a lot of support from my training provider, who guided and ensured I stayed on the right track by monitoring and observing each day and giving me feedback at the end of each week in order for me to develop. So in this sense EY has great professional providers who can help to actually develop individuals to the best potential. Also my training provider was really friendly so it was more like friendly advice rather than 'you have to do this...' so this really made it easier for me to adapt to a new setting.

The senior professional leading the programme was there nearly everyday so it was easy to approach and ask if there were any problems so the support was easily accessible

The programme was for two weeks so I believe the salary was worth it and lunch was provided for each day so it did meet our costs. However because I had to travel each day to get to work it was a little difficult because some of the costs went to my travel expenses. Overall, I believe the programme is actually worth it and the salary is great for the short experience

To be honest, outside work opportunities are quite difficult to get and it takes a lot of work to actually find an opportunity. However being a part of smart futures it does to an extent open up the doors for networking with people which may help in opportunities outside of work in the future

9a. Would you recommend EY to a friend? *

I personally loved the programme, I woke up wanting to be there everyday, it has really changed my mindset like I wake up seeking opportunities each day, smart futures has really boosted my enthusiasm in finding a professional career so I wish others can go through this programme and do the same

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to EY? *

The most important tip I can give is be yourself and just enjoy the programme, yes it's a professional environment and there are boundaries but you must enjoy the experience. Another tip I would give is, not to be nervous as there are so many other students who join and feel exact the same way so it's really easy to make friends and get a long with people .