Mechanical engineering apprentice at DSTL

Salisbury

Connect with DSTL

8.1/10

My job title is a mechanical engineering apprentice. My first year of the apprenticeship is spent at QinetiQ at their training school, this is to learn the fundamentals of what will be required in my job role further down the line. We do a wide variety of lessons from health and safety to mechanical principles. There is lots of practical elements in the course which means that I can develop my practical skills as well as my theoretical knowledge.

I have learnt lots of new skills whilst being on the apprenticeship, prior to starting the apprenticeship I hadn't had any practical experience so everything was new to me once I started, my practical skills have come on a long way since I began four months ago. I have developed my team working skills by taking part in many group activates.

I am enjoying the programme as it is developing my skills and knowledge in the engineering field, it went above my expectations because it has opened up opportunities to me that I didn't think would arise.

4. How valued do you feel by DSTL?

I feel very valued by DSTL

The training is structured and organised which means that we know what is happening and when so that we can prepare for the lessons beforehand.

If I am struggling with a certain aspect of the course the tutors are more than happy to help me until I understand whatever I am having issues with.

Lots of support and guidance from my empoyer

It barely meets my costs, but is sufficient

there are some out of work actives that are available to me

9a. Would you recommend DSTL to a friend? *

because its a good experience

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to DSTL? *

do background research on the company