Mechanical Engineering Apprentice at DSTL

Salisbury
September 2019

Connect with DSTL

Study and practice manual machining in a workshop working on real jobs in the business and complete placements in different areas of the business to find a job after the apprenticeship.

I have learnt a significant amount about machining and engineering; health and safety; and radar science.

I look forward to new tasks every day as the work is constant and often changing and challenging.

The placements are excellent and mostly organised well with team leaders having genuine enthusiasm for their role in our success.

I get support on anything that I need as they are wanting to ensure that I am at my best when I'm at work.

After the 18 months we spent working at their site we have had very little communication from them.

It enables me to access a large variety of engineering capabilities and specialise in whatever area I enjoy the most.

Initially we had many of these but they are now reserved for special occasions.

9a. Would you recommend DSTL to a friend?

The opportunities for an amazing career here are plentiful and it is a great way for a young person to get into a career and qualified.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to DSTL?

If you simply ask to be taught something new that information or training will be supplied by the business so that they can expand on their capabilities.