1. Please give an overview of your role and what this involves on a day-to-day basis:
Study and practice manual machining in a workshop working on real jobs in the business and complete placements in different areas of the business to find a job after the apprenticeship.
2. Have you learnt any new skills or developed existing skills?
I have learnt a significant amount about machining and engineering; health and safety; and radar science.
3. To what extent do you enjoy your programme?
I look forward to new tasks every day as the work is constant and often changing and challenging.
4. How well organised/structured is your programme?
The placements are excellent and mostly organised well with team leaders having genuine enthusiasm for their role in our success.
5. How much support do you receive from your employer?
I get support on anything that I need as they are wanting to ensure that I am at my best when I'm at work.
6. How much support do you receive from your training provider when working towards your qualifications?
After the 18 months we spent working at their site we have had very little communication from them.
7. How well do you feel that your qualification (through your training provider) helps you to perform better in your role?
It enables me to access a large variety of engineering capabilities and specialise in whatever area I enjoy the most.
8. Are there extra-curricular activities to get involved in at your work? (For example, any social activities, sports teams, or even professional networking events.)
Initially we had many of these but they are now reserved for special occasions.
9a. Would you recommend DSTL to a friend?
The opportunities for an amazing career here are plentiful and it is a great way for a young person to get into a career and qualified.
10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to DSTL?
If you simply ask to be taught something new that information or training will be supplied by the business so that they can expand on their capabilities.
More from DSTLMore Reviews Company Profile
Get personalised jobs straight to your inbox
Save time job hunting - get tailored job opportunities sent straight to you!