Junior project manager at CGI

Edinburgh
January 2016

Connect with CGI

9.4/10

I am a junior project manager within the City of Edinburgh Council programme. My job is to basically assist the ESO team on a daily basis, updating action trackers, booking meetings, general admin work and also assigning new joiners to project codes and giving them access to our servers/ facilities. I usually work on the client site; Waverley court, as I need access to their facilities and to their members/ employees. However I do travel to the Edinburgh office at least once a week.

I have learned how to book meetings and appointments with multiple members of staff. I am now also better at time management as allocating time to tasks is essential.

My work may not be glamorous but I feel as though I am an essential part of the team. My colleagues are kind and friendly people and don't mind making time for me if I have questions.

RateMyApprenticeship is currently advertising 5 roles at CGI

4. How valued do you feel by CGI?

I feel as though I am an essential part of the team as I am often thanked by multiple members of team for work that is critical to the programme.

My induction went smoothly apart from a few bumps when it came to sorting out access to services. I am yet to attend my training as I have been thrown into the deep end; this isn't a bad thing though as I often enjoy learning as I do. My line manager arranges weekly meetings with members of the team to check in on how things are going and what they are up to.

I have not yet done my training but any queries I have I can ask QA as they are the organisation that arranged my contract.

Any problems I have I can always talk to members of my team and to my line manager.

RateMyApprenticeship is currently advertising 5 roles at CGI

I am able to save up money every month after paying for all my living costs including social activities.

There are many company events such as going out for drinks, dinner and to see a movie. There are voluntary initiatives within the company like fundraising for charities, so far I have already begun donating to such charities as CHAS.

9a. Would you recommend CGI to a friend? *

Because they are a great company to work for and they also offer many opportunities to move around inside the company.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to CGI? *

Don't be afraid to ask questions, they actually encourage it. It may seem daunting at first but don't worry, you can always ask for help.