R&D Apprentice Chemistry at Unilever

Sponsored Degree Programme
29th June 2015

Connect with Unilever

8.1/10

• Analysing Unilever ingredients to ensure their safety for the consumer, workers and environment. Studying part time for a BSc Chemistry along side via day release.

-Professional skills - Outlook, organizing projects and meetings, presenting etc. -Scientific Skills - Operating analytical instruments, writing reports, contributing to scientific papers, attending seminars and workshops -Time management - Balancing work/ studies/ social/ sleep can be hard and is always something I try to improve at

I do not enjoy what I do on a day to day basis, as this is not my preferred career. However, I enjoy that I am learning skills and gaining experience that will help me reach my goals in years to come.

4. How valued do you feel by Unilever?

Unilever invests in my training, but does not recognize achievement as much as I would like.

My degree program is well organised, Unilever's program has improved year on year. They have taken in account apprentices recommendations.

University is very communicative via email, and I have had no problems worth noting so far.

Colleagues at work are absolutely fantastic when helping apprentices. The go above and beyond what we require to make sure are problems are explained clearly and thoroughly. I have a mentor who genuinely cares about my progress, and a manager who wants to push me to my potential.

Unilever pays me on par with most year in industry students, and significantly more then most apprentice schemes. Considering they also pay all my travel, books, tuition fees and other training events, I am extremely happy with my compensation. Most students leave university with £50000 worth of debt, I will leave with 5 years of pension savings, Unilever share saving scheme and a deposit on a house.

I am actively involved in promoting apprenticeships, as well as personal study for qualifications outside of work (CIMA).

9a. Would you recommend Unilever to a friend? *

Great people, great culture, and you feel like you are working for the greater good, not just shareholder profits.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Unilever? *

Turn up on time and be yourself. If you are right for Unilever they will pick up on it. It is a huge company with many areas, keep an open mind in developing your role. For apprenticeships, take into account that it is very hard work. Work time is for work, evenings are for university studies!