PCFS at BAE Systems

Frimley

8.8/10

I am a PCFS (Project Control Foundation Scheme) apprentice in Naval Ships, Mission Systems. This inolves working in the gubbins of a project: reporting on Finance, Risk, schedule etc. And setting up and closing projects.

I think it's the hardest thing I have ever done - harder than my Maths BSc with the open uitversity. But this means that I'm learninng a lot.

Very much. It's hard work but the role is always changing.

4. How valued do you feel by BAE Systems?

Yes, Mostly. We are valued by the company as a whole - and gain good visibility to high up management. Although the individual project managers sometimes think of us as a 'free resouce' Becase if they had a normal project controler working on their project it would cost the project money - whereas our pay comes out of a diferent pot of money and so is free to them.

Very. This is a new scheme in Naval Ships and Maratime Services. Whereas up north it has been running for many years. This means that there are still some parts to iron out. But on the whole this is a well structured programme

The training providor is exxcelent.

Lots

The salary is good - less than some but more than others - it is harder to live off if you are placed in one of the sites nearer to london - whereas it is a good wage if you are placed in Portsmouth.

Depends on local agreements - this is a bit hit and miss.

9a. Would you recommend BAE Systems to a friend? *

It is a very good oportunity to get your foot into a good, well paying career. There is a huge range of jobs once you are inside.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to BAE Systems? *

Read up on Project management on the APM (Assosication for Project Managers)Website. Learn about the bigest projects with BAE.