Apprentice at BAE Systems

Rochester

8.6/10

I am being trained up to be an electronics technician with the chance to progress my qualification to become an electronics engineer. Day to day I find myself working within the different sections around the BAE systems site.

I have learnt a lot about how electronics work and a lot of the principles regarding this area. This includes activities such as soldering and bench work.

So far I have thoroughly enjoyed my experience on this apprenticeship learning new skills, new ways of thinking and meeting new people. It also provides me with challenges in which I have to overcome using the training which has been provided to me.

4. How valued do you feel by BAE Systems?

I have only recently joined my final department and with a bit more training related to this area I feel I will be a valued asset. The other departments in which I have worked in prior I felt that I was useful and in some cases actually needed to help them meet deadlines.

The programme has had hiccups but this was due to a different procedure being implemented (moving from paper based evidence to an online alternative). Other than this I have felt that the programme has run smoothly and any issues have been resolved as soon as possible.

I have never had an issue where I felt alone or unsupported and any times I have asked for additional support, I have recieved the help needed.

My employer obviously wants me to progress and develop as much as I can to become an assest to the company and I felt that they have provided the support needed to achieve this.

Compared to a previous apprenticeship, my current salary is a lot better.

There are many opportunities to represent the company outside of work and some of which I have taken up myself.

9a. Would you recommend BAE Systems to a friend? *

It is full of opportunities to develop and progress your skills in the field of electronics as well as being enjoyable at the same time.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to BAE Systems? *

Being interested in the electronics field is useful and any projects which you may have completed can help when applying.