Apprentice Technician at Arup

Solihull

9.6/10

My role as apprentice technician at Arup is to produce 3d drawings that represent the building services in a building, my role specifically is to model the above ground drainage, I do this by taking mark ups from an engineer and using my initiative to turn them into a model that represents the actual building we are designing

During my short time at Arup I have gained lots of skills. I believe I have gained communication skills as I now feel more confident when speaking to people I don't know, I also feel I have grown in confidence as the tasks I do on a daily basis are not easy. My technical skills have improved greatly, i have learnt how to use multiple designing program's and my knowledge on the construction industry has improved greatly.

I enjoy learning new things everyday and working on real life projects and having an impact on these projects. I also like earning while I am learning.

4. How valued do you feel by Arup?

I feel very valued, I have a lot of responsibility and prefer things this way as I have a lot of friends in apprentice program's where they are not valued.

The program is very well structured, we have lots of help in order to assist us with college work, not only by the people who are in charge of running the college course but people I work with are always more than happy to assist me in whatever i need help with.

The training providers are very supportive, we have things like seminars and information evenings provided for us so we can get more information on whatever it may be.

Our employer is always supportive, we have a mentor at work that always assists with things like college work and NVQ evidence, we are also allocated a buddy to show us around the workplace until we get used to things.

Very well, compared to friends on other apprenticeships I am coping great.

There are lots of opportunities to seek more information outside of work, things like institution open events, school events and after hours social activities organised by the social committee are available all year round

9a. Would you recommend Arup to a friend? *

Because Arup is a company that will make you feel valued as an employee, they will also train you up to an excellent standard within a short amount of time. People who have worked at Arup are recognized as quality employees all around the world.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Arup? *

Research the company as the company has a strong culture and show a general interest in the built environment.