Infrastructure Project Manager at HSBC

April 2015

I design and implement structured fibre and copper data cabling within Data Centres.

I have learned a great deal about Fibre Optics that I hadn't previously had any exposure to.

The programme in my eyes was a means to and end, it got me a career with good prospects in a prestigious firm. The programme itself I felt was lacking.

4. How valued do you feel by HSBC?

I feel suitably valued, I get involved with projects and feel a part of the team. As for being valued by HSBC as a whole.. think the company is a little too big for that.

Not very. Being the first group of apprentices to join the ranks of IT in HSBC the level of structure was minimal - I expect the errors from my intake will be rectified for future programmes.

Minimal really... The amount of resource available to assist a group of 40 was always going to cause problems. I passed the course but it could have been done alot better with more support This section of the comment has been removed by a member of the RateMyApprenticeship Team because it did not meet our site terms and conditions

My line management and colleages have supported me throughout the programme and have met all their obligations with a strong supportive attitude. No complaints from me in that regard.

Relative to most apprenticeships, my current salary is well above average. Bearing in mind the minimum wage for apprentices is circa £2/3 an hour for which I was previously earning, joining this programme almost trebled my income.

There are many clubs and leisure groups available should you look for them.

9a. Would you recommend HSBC to a friend? *

The career prospects, should you prove yourself, are hard to rival elsewhere in the world.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to HSBC? *

Do it. But go into it with the right attitude and a willingness to learn and get on.