1. Please give an overview of your role and what this involves on a day-to-day basis:
I am an undergraduate engineer in the tunneling sector of WSP. From day to day I am responsible for using CAD software to draw designs or edit previous drawings by others.
2. Have you learnt any new skills or developed existing skills?
I have become much more confident, I have learned to use 3 new programs while working here and have learned how to design a tunnel. I have also improved my research skills.
3. To what extent do you enjoy your programme?
The program that I am on is very enjoyable as I am doing the work that I enjoy and my team has welcomed me well.
4. How well organised/structured is your programme?
My program is well structured with one day at university and the other 4, working in the industry with engineers and chartered engineers.
5. How much support do you receive from your employer?
My employer is very good at supporting me with everything I need from resources to time to complete work and learn new things.
6. How much support do you receive from your training provider when working towards your qualifications?
The university is very good at supporting me with extracurricular sessions and the professors are always happy to help when it is needed.
7. How well do you feel that your qualification (through your training provider) helps you to perform better in your role?
Everything that I am learning at university is helping me in my role as I am able to understand and carry out tasks assigned to me and it has helped me with learning the programs I am having to use at work.
8. Are there extra-curricular activities to get involved in at your work? (For example, any social activities, sports teams, or even professional networking events.)
There is a football team that plays weekly and other social events in my company.
9a. Would you recommend WSP Parsons Brinckerhoff to a friend?
Great support, great people and great place to learn and progress in your engineering career.
10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to WSP Parsons Brinckerhoff?
Work hard but never be afraid to ask for help. The more contacts you can make in the company, the better.