Trainee Quantity Surveyor at Laing O'Rourke

Central London & City
School Leaver Programme
May 2018

Connect with Laing O'Rourke

I am a Trainee Quantity Surveyor and my roles from day to day involve making payments to subcontractors that I manage as well as liaising with upstream to the client and downstream to subcontractors.

Since joining I have definitely developed my already competent communication skills as my role involves liaising with all the other teams as well as the client and subcontractors as well. Also I have been able to develop my problem solving skills as I have carried out lots of exercises to understand why we have record of some figures.

I enjoy my programme a lot because of the great balance between University life and the working life and the two supplement each other very well.

4. How valued do you feel by Laing O'Rourke?

Since joining last year I already feel a valued member of the team through interactions at work, comments from line managers and the involvement with the business as a whole.

The programme is so well organized! It is broken down into such manageable sections through the University and through the log books/Quarterly reports.

We have regular modules throughout the year and they are always available if we require extra assistance.

Support is always there if I require it while working from all members of the team.

For a basic starting salary it is generally fine, however being in London the social costs tend to reduce the amount left at the end of the month.

There are always social events within the team and the business, ie the xmas party which happens yearly and is a great chance to meet new and indeed old faces.

9. Would you recommend Laing O'Rourke to a friend?

The whole experience so far has allowed me to fit into working life as if I had been doing so for years. I felt comfortable after a matter of weeks and really look forward to seeing what the future holds.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Laing O'Rourke?

To show enthusiasm and passion for pushing yourself and being able to learn more as the opportunities within Laing O'Rourke are huge!