Systems Integration and Test Engineer at Thales

Stockport North West
Scholarship Programme
May 2017

I work on a number of Maritime Mission Systems projects reporting to the IVVQ Manager. The job involves running test scripts, attending reviews and working with software engineers on defect rectification.

I have had the opportunity to learn new skills through company training schemes and by work-based learning. I have also had the opportunity to use skills learnt previously and expand my knowledge.

I had a great time during my placement and the work was both enjoyable and rewarding. The company we welcoming and supporting and the scheme exceeded my expectations.

4. How valued do you feel by Thales?

Incredibly valued and I am given constant feedback and appreciation from both project managers and senior management. I have also had great feedback from my line manager.

The programme is structures to include relevant development activities as part of the year and also allows for additional training opportunities. The scheme includes regular reviews and appraisals to identify areas for improvement.

I was assigned a mentor to support me throughout the placement and given access to a number of supporting materials.

I have been assigned a company mentor to help guide me through the scheme and a line manager. I also have contact with other interns and apprentices.

The salary more than covers my expenses.

The company encourage STEM based volunteer work and assign two days leave for volunteering. There is a company social club who arrange activities outside work hours.

9. Would you recommend Thales to a friend?

They have given me an incredible experience that has taught me a huge amount about an area in which I had very little knowledge to start. I have been given fantastic travel opportunities and have worked on some real projects.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Thales?

The application process can be tough but the rewards are worth the effort. Stick with it and always try your best.