Digital Journalist Apprentice at BBC

Glasgow
18th January 2017

Connect with BBC

8.7/10

As a Digital Journalism Apprentice I worked across tv, radio and online, producing, writing and filming content for a range of BBC News outlets with a focus on social media

I worked towards an NCTJ Diploma in Journalism as well as a multitude of practical skills necessary to work as a journalist. This includes video editing, filming, mobile journalism and interview skills.

I thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of my apprenticeship scheme. It surpassed my expectations of what working for the BBC would be like

4. How valued do you feel by BBC?

For the most part I truly believe that the BBC values me, and even senior members of staff care about what I have to say. Sometimes I feel like I tick a box for the BBC because of my working class background.

Training was mostly thorough and well-structured. I spent enough time at tv, radio and online to get into the role and had plenty of time afterwards to choose the area I wanted to work in and get more experience there. The only drawback is that I was trained in the video and audio editing systems used in England - those used in Scotland, where I am based, are completely different and therefore the training was a total waste of time. I haven't come across those systems ever again in my work.

My scheme co-ordinator was like my mother away from home and is an all round fantastic human being.

I have been well supported by almost everyone I've come across in the newsroom and beyond and can't speak highly enough of staff here.

I was making more money working in a call centre before coming to work at the BBC, but frankly I would've paid money to get on this scheme. I was able to afford a modest lifestyle which eventually pays off in the form of employment.

I have contributed to BBC The Social in my spare time and also take part in an external mentoring scheme. I have enough spare time for a healthy work/life balance

9a. Would you recommend BBC to a friend? *

It's the most supportive, nurturing workplace I've ever been a part of - most of the staff would bend over backwards to help you succeed and it's that kind of attitude that helps people like me reach their potential.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to BBC? *

Don't pretend to be someone that you think the BBC wants to hire.