Higher Level Application Specialist Apprentice at Atos

Runcorn
Apprenticeship - Higher Level (Level 4)
30th March 2016

5.4/10

Job Title: Higher Level Application Specialist Apprentice Daily Tasks: I work in 3rd Line lead support role for a particular application for the Department of Health. 3rd Line is the final line of support and so I deal with some of the more difficult issues for the application. This requires me to use my knowledge of SharePoint, the application itself and administration.

Internal Interactions: I am currently training a couple of colleagues for 3rd Line support and so regularly have sessions with them. I am also in close contact with my manager to keep him updated on the account.

External interactions: I am in regular contact with a number of different external Department of health contacts. Exposure to top DoH employees is a regular occurrence.

Responsibilities: I am responsible for managing my time with completing coursework as well as completing my "in-work" tasks. I am also held responsible for resolving issues in a timely manner.

I am due to receive 2 qualifications: City & Guilds Level 4 Diploma for ICT Professionals - Systems and Principles City & Guilds Level 4 Diploma for ICT Professional Competence

17 weeks training was provided in Telford university campus. This enabled me to develop both my IT skills and my personal skills.

It was slow to start with due to leaving for training every couple of weeks which meant no real project work could begin. Once the training had finished, work began and I settled into the role well. As with training anywhere, it can be hit and miss, but overall, I enjoyed it and made some good friends.

4. How valued do you feel by Atos?

Recognition is very hard to come by in my team. Although I feel I am in an important role, this is never stated, never commended, never really spoken about when it comes to management. Often I find myself unsure of whether I am underperforming, meeting expectations or exceeding these expectations.

Structure and organization is not the first thought about the programme I must admit. However, everything has worked out well and I am comfortable in my work place and role.

The tutors will provide you with all the content you desire - generally support is good from the external training provider.

I really ask for support as I am comfortable within my role. However, should a problem arise, I always have colleagues who are willing to help.

Standard/satisfactory

9a. Would you recommend Atos to a friend? *

If you are like me: didn't want to start your adult life with debt, but wanted that success, then an apprenticeship is perfect. Yes, it has been flaky at times, but I would do all of this again as I have made money while gaining an accredited qualification.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Atos? *

Do your training. Find what you like. Do that. Don't get stuck doing something you don't like. I was employed as a software developer - turns out I hate coding. I looked around and spoke to the right people and I am now doing what I want to do.