Apprentice Broadcast Engineer at BBC

Salford
Apprenticeship - Higher Level (Level 4)
18th March 2016

Connect with BBC

4.3/10

Apprentice Broadcast Engineer. Working across different broadcasting companies ensuring that the technological backbone to the broadcasting industry is kept safe and running smoothly. When a problem arises a quick and fast solution is needed particularly in transmission critical works.

Continued to develop communication with clients and appropriate workplace manner. University course that involves CISCO networking, some video and lots of electrical, micro processor and physics.

On placement working it is brilliant. Most people are usually extremely happy to pass on their knowledge and know how. The broadcasting industry is often quite competitive. However, the university and engagement from employer could be a little better.

4. How valued do you feel by BBC?

Not a huge amount depending on the person. Not sure the managers have a true idea or recognition for what is going on and the tasks/projects/life circumstances that are happening at the time.

The programme was tightly structured. The induction was good with lots of talking and meetings. However, there is no mentoring and or regular meetings with my boss. Half way through the course has changed without any prior consultation which was a little annoying.

The university do provide quite good support, however there is little out of hours contact or help.

Quite a bit depending on the size of the group that go to my boss. There is a lot of sympathy. Not a huge consistency of regular meetings to get to know what is going on.

Relatively well, just need to be tight. There was no relocation fee however.

Indeed, when a placement goes well that employer, as in my case, has decided to arrange for me to continue on one of my projects to see the end-to-end project which is good.

9a. Would you recommend BBC to a friend? *

What more could you want than work for the biggest, most recognisable world broadcaster. Their name is world renowned for high quality programming.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to BBC? *

Be yourself and learning to live with the downsides. The world is utterly imperfect and there is nothing you can do to change that. Learn to be able to suck the bad and focus on the good. I wish I had been told a huge amount more about what on earth this course actually entailed and what a broadcast engineer does.