Apprentice wind turbine technician at Siemens

Scunthorpe
January 2016

8.1/10

My role includes both servicing and troubleshooting offshore wind turbines

Both my knowledge and hands on skills have been developed whilst working on turbines. I have learnt how to effective fault find and repair pieces of equipment. My teamwork and communication skills have also vastly improved.

The hands on job is excellent, the people I have worked with have been very skilled and great mentors and I have progressed as a person so much. The downside to apprenticeship is the admin and politics within the business. As well the planning from the company is somewhat questionable. But overall the apprenticeship is fantastic.

4. How valued do you feel by Siemens?

This is very site dependant as at some sites I have felt like a valued member of the team, others not so much, you are just there to fill up the numbers.

After going through a rough period at the start of the apprenticeship where there was no guidance what so ever. Now the nvq side of the programme is fine and works perfectly. The planning of sites and how long you will spend there needs some work.

The nvq side of the apprenticeship is now dealt with very well and I receive lots id qui dance from the training provider.

The support is a bit lacking in some areas where you are just passed from pillar to post. Some issues are dealt with swiftly, some where you have to contact someone outside the apprenticeship programme prove difficult.

The salary for this job are fantastic, I do feel rewarded for the work that I do.

If this question is about further progression with getting a job after the apprenticeship, then yes there are lots of opportunities.

9a. Would you recommend Siemens to a friend? *

It's a great job when you are on the tools which outweighs the admin/politics you have to deal with. The people you work with are really skilled and most are willing to help you.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Siemens? *

Be ready to move around a lot and live in a lot of hotels. You have to be committed and give your time to the job.