Apprentice Kitchen Designer at Howdens Joinery

Haverhill

Connect with Howdens Joinery

7.6/10

I am an apprentice kitchen designer. On a daily basis I usually design and quote kitchens, I also serve on the counter and answer phones. I am responsible for the plans that I design if the system loses it I re design it.

I have learnt how to design a full kitchen on the computer I have also learnt how to quote a kitchen including discounts, I have also learnt a lot about joinery and door furniture which will help in later life. I have been on a training course in Northampton where i learnt all about the K8 System.

The people in my depot for the most part are very nice and kind and always a pleasure to be around, Also the customers are very nice and welcoming (until you get something wrong)

4. How valued do you feel by Howdens Joinery?

I was recently in a meeting with my area manager which made me feel a lot more valued than i did before, he was very friendly and was very understanding of my roles and the things I was doing.

The first couple of months of the programme where a bit unstructured I must admit because we didn't get many visits and it was kind of all over the place really but since then all has been fine and good.

My training provider will always try to assist me in anyway possible, he's usually around when not on surveys and doesn't give me tasks which are too hard and if they are he doesn't mind helping at all.

I receive a little bit of support from my manager but he is fairly new himself so the majority of the time I would be talking to my assistant manager who is always helping me.

At the moment I am only 17 years of age and dont have much to pay for in terms of living and travel so it's not too bad, I just pay for my phone contract then the rest I can use for what ever i want really, it's better than school where I had absolutely no money.

there are lots of opportunities outside of work, we went with the company quad biking as an incentive which was the first time i have ever been quad biking, there was also go-karting, our depot decided not to go but it was always there if we did want to.

9a. Would you recommend Howdens Joinery to a friend? *

The depots are all very close they're more like a little family than a business of course we still make money and of course everyone has little arguments but all in all it's a good place to be.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Howdens Joinery? *

I would advise to just be your self and keep calm, howdens are very lenient in terms of qualifications, for me at least I just showed confidence and that I can deal with customers well.