Trainee Quantity Surveyor at Laing O'Rourke

School Leaver Programme
January 2016

Connect with Laing O'Rourke

9.0/10

As a trainee Quantity Surveyor, some of my daily tasks involve creating contracts for many suppliers for different systems and services. I am also responsible for the money that goes in and out of the job to ensure that certain packages don't go over their designated budget.

Throughout my time on the programme, I have developed a number of new skills such as my communication, negotiation and teamwork skills. I have also completed a number of different internal training courses that can help develop my IT skills to benefit the work that is expected of me. I have also gained an understanding of different peoples roles and how they can be linked into my own and work together as one team.

The programme is a great way to gain experience and to also learn while getting first hand experience. The programme allows you to develop many skills that are needed to work in construction. It illustrates how important it is to work in a team as the team is what is needed to get the job completed to the correct standards.

RateMyApprenticeship is currently advertising 1 role at Laing O'Rourke

4. How valued do you feel by Laing O'Rourke?

I feel valued by the company as my Line Manager gives me a lot of recognition whenever I do well to get Orders sent to Sub-Contractors on time and also when I do well in uni work. I have also had some recognition out with the team I am working with in which I seem to have a good balance with university work and work overall.

The programme is always very well organised as you know the information you need to well in advance of when you need it. There is always the correct support on hand whenever you need it and also regular meeting set up with your line manager to ensure that you are on the right track to achieving what is expected of you.

I have a great deal of support on hand whenever I need it. My Line Manager ensures that I am not only completing the work but I am fully understanding it and take the time to explain anything that I may find difficult or don't understand.

The company ensure that there is a huge amount of support available to anyone in the business and not only trainees. You can receive help from any member of your team and can also go outwith that to such departments such as HR who are very helpful in a number of different ways.

RateMyApprenticeship is currently advertising 1 role at Laing O'Rourke

The salary for my needs is more than satisfactory. This covers the travelling costs to get to an from the office and also covers many other costs.

Out with the company there are a number of different things to do but mainly when you are based on a site. However when you are based on a site there are a number of different clubs and social and sports events.

9a. Would you recommend Laing O'Rourke to a friend? *

I would recommend Laing O'Rourke to a friend as I is a great company to work for as it can benefit you on your learning of what is involved in your job role by gaining first hand experience.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Laing O'Rourke? *