warehouseman at Howdens Joinery

Penicuik Scotland
November 2015

Connect with Howdens Joinery

5.3/10

I work in the warehouse and supply stock for the customers that come in. I put the stock away the comes in on delivery and keep the warehouse clean and tidy and make sure the stock is all present and correct.

how to drive the forklift, stock accuracy and customer service.

I really enjoyed it, it helped me how communicate better and work well with my colleagues. experience for anything I want to do in the future

4. How valued do you feel by Howdens Joinery?

feel very well valued as the work I do is noticed by my manager and sees the difference and progression to the warehouse. customers that come into the warehouse can see the difference that I make in the warehouse as well which makes me feel very highly valued in the company.

it was structured very well at the beginning of my programme, I was shown every thing there is to learn and was given loads of tasks to complete, but nearer to the end of my apprenticeship I wasn't getting anything from them and nobody from the apprenticeship company came in to see how I was or to progress with the apprenticeship meaning the last 3/4 months nobody came in. which meant I couldn't finish my qualification.

I received a lot of support from the training provider at the start but as I came to the end I got hardly any support what so ever and it stopped me from progressing inn completing my apprenticeship.

I receive a lot of support from my employers, they guided well through my year as an apprentice and made sure I wasn't stuck. they were always able to answer my questions about anything that I didn't know.

as it only being an apprenticeship wage it wasn't bad I lived at home still so I dint have to pay any bills and work was only a 15 minute drive so travel costs were cheap also. social costs were kept to a minimum because of the wage not being very high.

I had loads of things to do outside of work such as playing rugby for my local team. I attended a company event that was organized for the local depots to go karting.

9. Would you recommend Howdens Joinery to a friend?

because it is a good company to work for and you get to see what its like to work in a successful business and learn to work in a team and it pays well also.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Howdens Joinery?

just show that your wanting to do the job with a purpose and come in every day being ready to go and wanting to make a difference in the company and take it forward.