Business Tax, CFAB January 2020 Apprenticeship at BDO
This job's deadline has passed. Click here to see what similar jobs we have
Connect with BDO
Business Tax, CFAB January 2020 Apprenticeship
Joining as a Level 4 apprentice, you’ll be a valued member of the firm from day one. You’ll be challenged in the work you do as your skills and knowledge grow. You’ll find a personal approach, coupled with encouragement and support. You’ll push yourself to become the business professional you aspire to be. In addition to a competitive salary and flexible benefits, you’ll receive full study support towards gaining your CFAB qualification. We provide the opportunities – you take them.
Our business tax team provide bespoke taxation services to clients and deal with queries from compliance through to advisory work. You'll prepare tax returns and computations, carry out tax planning/consultancy work and deal with HMRC, clients and third parties.
Location: Reading, London
- corporation tax computations at both provisional and final stage
- corporation, partnership, personal and overseas landlord tax returns
- tax accounting and deferred tax computations for inclusion in the financial statements, as required
- The expectation is that the involvement in the preparation of the returns will be mainly data inputting and familiarising themselves with how Alphatax (or other appropriate software) works. Generally reporting to client caseworkers and managers.
- Assist in dealing with HMRC correspondence including calling HMRC as required, informing them of any changes to client circumstances and preparation of penalty appeal letters.
- Assist in obtaining relevant information from audit/accounting files in order to prepare the draft tax returns.
- Drafting client correspondence including the preparation of tax payment advice /CT600 returns for client approval for Manager to send
- Assist more senior members of staff with a portfolio of clients ensuring they are kept up to date with relevant progress of their computations, tax matters and deadlines
- Take on work from the Compliance Function to gain experience of basic compliance requirements across a broad range of taxes.
- Communicating with clients to obtain relevant information or to resolve queries
- Assisting with new client/engagement set up including the initial preparation of LOEs and Client Acceptance Checklist/General Engagement Acceptance Checklist.
- Assist with any other aspects of the compliance function, including updating Alphatax on a regular basis
- Assist with fee proposals, analysing WIP and drafting fee notes when requested.
- Ensure the deadline they have been given are met and issues or difficulties that arise are brought to the attention of the senior team members
- Liaise with senior team members to regularly communicate progress of work
- Build and maintain good working relationships with colleagues including starting to build working relationships with colleagues from other departments
- Assist with general administrative duties
- Develop an awareness of UK taxation and accounting matters, including accounting standards and double entry book-keeping (generally through professional studies)
- Successfully study towards the CFAB qualification via a level 4 apprenticeship
- 5 GCSE’S grade 4-9 with a 6 or above in English language and maths (or equivalent)
- Minimum of 120 UCAS points (or equivalent), attained or expected
- Competent at relevant computer applications e.g. Excel
- Basic technical and analytical skills
- Good numeracy and literacy skills
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written
- Strong organisational and time management skills
- Proven planning and prioritising skills
- Able to work under pressure with accuracy and focus
- Able to demonstrate problem solving skills
- Self-motivated and able to apply relevant skills to new scenarios
This role will follow a Level 4 Professional Accounting Taxation Technician Apprenticeship standard.
Please note due to high volume of applications for our roles we reserve the right to close all vacancies earlier than the advertised date without notice. To avoid disappointment please apply as soon as possible.
BDO LLP is an accountancy and business advisory firm, we provide integrated advice and solutions to help businesses navigate a changing world. Our clients are Britain’s economic engine – ambitious, entrepreneurially-spirited and high growth businesses that fuel the economy.
We share our clients’ ambitions and their entrepreneurial mind-set. We have the right combination of global reach, integrity and expertise to help them succeed.
BDO LLP operates in 17 locations across the UK, employing 5000 people offering tax, audit and assurance, and a range of advisory services. BDO LLP has revenues of £590m and is the UK member firm of the BDO International network. The BDO global network provides business advisory services in 162 countries, with 80,000 people working out of 1,500 offices worldwide. It has revenues of $9bn.
BDO gives trainees all the training they need to attain their professional qualifications, along with extensive practical experience that includes on-site client work. The firm provides constant support to help you achieve your potential.
'Achieving My Potential’ is BDO’s organisational framework. It is made up of 4 key elements – core competencies, technical competencies, values and attitude. In essence, what you do and how you do it.
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button.
Awards for BDO
Latests jobs from BDO
BDO School Leaver, Consumer Markets
Hear about Aimee's experience at BDO