The Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl) ensures that our innovative science and technology contribute to the defence and security of the UK. We provide the UK Government with specialist science and technology research, advice and analysis – much of which is operationally critical with the potential to save many lives.
Data Analyst Apprenticeship
This is an excellent apprenticeship opportunity in Dstl, a Ministry of Defence Agency, for a Data Analyst within the Defence and Security Analysis Division with excellent future career prospects in Data Science, Analysis and the Defence Enterprise.
You will be joining our team of highly skilled and dedicated employees based primarily at our Portsdown West site in Fareham.
We have a number of project areas in which could work spanning the breadth of UK’s Defence and Security including: the Air and Maritime environments; Modelling and Simulation, Wargaming and statistics; Policy analysis and support; and Human and Social Sciences.
This apprenticeship will suit someone who;
- Has a desire to develop their Data Analysis skills, start a career in Operational Analysis and provide invaluable support to decision makers through the provision of clear evidence.
- Shows an analytical mind set.
- Can work as part of a team.
- Enjoys being challenged by your work and strive for the best outcomes.
- Works with minimal supervision once given adequate guidance and direction.
In this role you will;
- Understand how and where relevant data can be collected and collated to enable meaningful analysis to be conducted with it.
- Having collated data use selected or developed appropriate techniques to manipulate the data to enable easy interpretation and use by others.
- Develop the skills to be able to apply suitable visualisation tools and techniques for presentation to the customer in the most suitable format.
- Through application of the Dstl standards, policy and protocols to your work ensure that Dstl maintains its reputation of integrity, impartiality and quality of output.
- Be an accountable member of a team helping Dstl remain a great place to work.
- Show, as an individual, you are developing and applying the skills being taught both within Dstl and during off site training throughout you apprenticeship.
This is a development post and you will spend approximately 20% of your time on the off-site training scheme.
Minimum age is 18
- You will need to hold 5 GCSEs including English and Maths, 3 A-levels or equivalent with at least one in a Maths or ICT
- Qualification or evidence of basic computer programming skills.
The security of our work means that only UK nationals who have also resided in the UK for the last five years (10 years for certain roles) can be considered. All Dstl positions require full UK Security Clearance. Unfortunately dual nationals are not eligible.
Benefits of working at DSTL
- Flexible working
- Chartership and accreditation support
- Generous annual leave
- A competitive salary
- Excellent learning and development
- Onsite gyms and restaurants
- Staff discounts for high street and online shopping, restaurants and days out
This apprenticeship is on a 2 year fixed term basis and starting salary is circa £15,000
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button below. To find the role, select 'Show more' and enter the following reference number: 1572423Apply for this role
Get personalised jobs straight to your inbox
Save time job hunting - get tailored job opportunities sent straight to you!
Latests jobs from DSTL
Dstl has always intrigued me with the things that it is involved in and also how its work contributes to...