Technical Apprentice at Leonardo

Edinburgh

Connect with Leonardo

As part of my remit within Selex-ES, I rotate between various departments within my company. These include Hardware Engineering, Software Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Quality Assurance etc. This give me the opportunity to get involved with the work available within each department, giving me an idea of which department I would like to work within once I have completed my apprenticeship.

I have achieved a SVQ level 2 for my hand fitting skills. I will increase this to an SVQ level 3 with use of a work based portfolio. I am also working towards an HND an college, attending 1 day a week. On site I have developed various skills such as my soldering ability.

I greatly enjoy my programme. I find the work I am involved in to be very enjoyable and my fellow colleagues to be very easy to work with. On the whole, Selex ES has exceeded my expectations.

4. How valued do you feel by Leonardo?

I feel valued by my manager, as well as by my fellow colleagues, I feel my opinion is always taken into account.

My programme is very well organised. I am aware of my placements for the next year and am aware of the progression into a final placement from this point. From my point of view I have no complaints.

With regards to college work, it is sometimes difficult to get the support required, due to only attending once a week. However, the support gained is usually very helpful.

I receive as much support as required from my employer. No complaints thus far.

I feel my salary could be reviewed. Currently I can afford to live off my wage, but I still live with my parents. I have looked into moving out and feel I would struggle to afford it with my current salary.

There are often charity activities outside of work which are fun to get involved with. My work also gains me free access to Edinburgh Leisure facilities, as well as discounts from various shops.

9a. Would you recommend Leonardo to a friend? *

I feel Selex ES is an excellent company to work for and that it gives you many opportunities for future progression.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Leonardo? *

The main advice I would give to someone applying is to research the role they are apply for, ensure it is for them, and prepare thoroughly for the application process, putting in the maximum you can at all times.