1. Please give an overview of your role and what this involves on a day-to-day basis:
My role as an apprentice electrician involves many different things, such as containment including cable tray, trunking, conduit etc. It involves wiring of power and lighting circuits, distribution boards aswell as testing and inspection.
2. Have you learnt any new skills or developed existing skills?
I have developed a number of new skills involving containment and connecting up accessories. I have further developed my hand tool skills.
3. To what extent do you enjoy your programme?
I have enjoyed my programme to an extent although the company having a lack of work has hindered my progress meaning i am not feeling confident as booking my FICA gets closer.
4. How valued do you feel by SSE?
I feel reasonably valued by SSE, however with the recent pay-offs/move to another part of the company of some apprentices who have just passed their FICA i am unsure what my future will hold.
5. How well organised/structured is your programme?
My programme is well structured on the college side of things, however site based experience could be better in terms of the type of Jobs we are put on at what stage of our apprenticeship.
6a. How much support do you receive from your training provider?
I receive all the support i require from my training provider.
6b. How much support do you receive from your employer?
I receive reasonable support from my employer should i need it.
7. How well does your salary/package meet your costs?
I’d be lying if i said the salary was fine, it could be higher to meet all my costs however i feel for an apprenticeship it is sufficient.
8. Are there many opportunities outside of work?
Don’t understand how this relates to my apprenticeship.
9. Would you recommend SSE to a friend?
Good company to work for, lots of opportunities within the company and a good pension and shares scheme.
10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to SSE?
Be prepared to work away for periods of time.
More from SSEMore Reviews Company Profile
Get personalised jobs straight to your inbox
Save time job hunting - get tailored job opportunities sent straight to you!