1. Please give an overview of your role and what this involves on a day-to-day basis:
I had 2 weeks of army initial training experience. Daily tasks involved a series of exercises and lessons which every regular recruit goes through. In the first week my physical strength was assessed with a series of challenging courses and physical exercises. The second week we learnt how to use a L98A2 rifle and were tested on our knowledge.
2. Have you learnt any new skills or developed existing skills?
I learnt to think outside the box more and be open to suggestions from my colleagues. I believe my mental strength has improved allowing me to remain calm under pressure and time limitations.
3. To what extent do you enjoy your programme?
The environment for someone that wants to see what the army life looks like is amazing. The people you'll meet and get to listen to their experience in the forces is brilliant! Overall, the experience was much more than what I expected. Enjoyed every bit even though it was hard work!
4. How valued do you feel by The Army?
Most of the people were supportive and helpful, however, when it came to the officer in charge, he was strict and professional as you'd expect. However, putting that aside I felt 100% valued by my team. Without my effort, we wouldn't be able to complete tasks or achieve what was expected of us.
5. How well organised/structured is your programme?
Very well organized as you'd expect from the army. The induction was short and sweet but the entire training experience was amazing.
6a. How much support do you receive from your training provider?
General guidance on the main tasks but most of the activities we were expected to work out ourselves.
6b. How much support do you receive from your employer?
I only saw the employer once so I'd say none.
7. How well does your salary/package meet your costs?
I'd say for 2 weeks it was a very impressive salary.
8. Are there many opportunities outside of work?
Yup! The army have a program where they basically sponsor anything that you'd wish to do. For example if you want to go skiing in Norway, sure thing! You want to visit Cyprus? Sure thing. They have everything you ask for.
9. Would you recommend The Army to a friend?
Because if they are interested in the military it's a great way to see what they have to offer.
10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to The Army?
Be ready to get tested both mentally and physically