1. Please give an overview of your role and what this involves on a day-to-day basis:
- I am a Community Relations representative on Crossrail’s Systemwide contract. My job role is to protect, promote and enhance the reputation of Systemwide to our surrounding stakeholders. I do this by managing communications between us and our communities; keeping them up to date with works statuses, any potentially disruptive works and working with them to organise projects such as volunteering. Some of my date to day duties include creating stakeholder information letters, reporting, event planning, organising community investment, charity events, working with schools / colleges and managing information to create the Systemwide quarterly newsletter.
2. Have you learnt any new skills or developed existing skills?
I have grown massively through my training, each unit giving me important knowledge and skills which help me in and outside of work. I see myself continuing with apprenticeships over the next few years to progress my education whilst in work from a level 4 HNC to a level 6 degree NHD NVQ. Working with Costain I have also been offered numerous trainings such as presentation skills workshops, stakeholder management, word and excel user, creative writing and environmental courses.
3. To what extent do you enjoy your programme?
I thoroughly enjoy my programme, the coursework that I recently completed, my job role, the team I am working and the support from my organisation. Honest to say that I received a few unusual looks on my return from the Christmas break when I said I was excited to be back at work! My job role is what I make it and I do and am able to make it my own with the full support of those around me.
4. How valued do you feel by Costain?
I certainly feel valued by Costain and constantly recommend them as an organisation to work for to my friends. I receive internal and external recognition for my recognised work within Costain and am nominated for awards, considered for performance based salary increases etc. this kind of support and incentives goes a long way. I work within and alongside great teams and do feel I am values as an apprentice.
5. How well organised/structured is your programme?
My programme was run externally through Creative Pioneers and was an NVQ Level 4. I thoroughly enjoyed my course and I couldn't have asked for a better assessor. I received full support from him and indeed my course was well organised and structured.
6a. How much support do you receive from your training provider?
From my assessor I received fantastic support - he was from Creative Pioneers and I honestly couldn't have asked for a better assessor. His background, knowledge and experience made him an incredible mentor to me throughout my course. I couldn't have done it without him!
6b. How much support do you receive from your employer?
I receive full support from my employer, whether it is personal or job related I feel I can go to somebody within my organisation for help / assistance. There are also particular policies in my such as 'the costain way' which I provide that guideline of how things should be done and what to do if I am unhappy etc.
7. How well does your salary/package meet your costs?
I receive a basic salary and the added bonus of my annual travel paid for, London waiting - extra £200 per month and also expenses. all of these meet my costs and my slight shopping addiction! - I also am a part of a 6 monthly apprentice performance pay-rise scheme.
8. Are there many opportunities outside of work?
I organise a lot of out of work events especially volunteering in our local communities all with full support of Costain. As an organisation they provide their staff with 2x volunteer days per year. Costain also organise and invite staff to events such as award ceremonies and annual events which I have had the pleasure of enjoying.
9a. Would you recommend Costain to a friend? *
9b. Why? *
By being employed by Costain you have support of what 'you' would like to do. By showing and proving your worth within Costain it is very apparent that they will invest in you further whether its developing skills, qualifications or supporting you to go into a different job role. It can certainly be an organisation for life.
10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Costain? *
Always be proactive and get your face noticed within Costain, you will get the support you deserve if you make it happen. Going out of your way and doing things away from your day job, whether its assisting, initiative ideas or striving to be world class - it will be noticed and worthwhile.
More from CostainMore Reviews Company Profile
Get personalised jobs straight to your inbox
Save time job hunting - get tailored job opportunities sent straight to you!