Summer School Intern at BDO

£100 weekly
6th August 2015

Connect with BDO

8.0/10

I am a summer school intern and so I have done a variety of tasks for several managers on different clients. I have called and casted sets of accounts and carried out a stocktake for a restaurant client, amongst other tasks.

I have learned to how read and understand companies' accounts as well as learning how to carry out a stocktake. I have also improved my confidence in dealing with clients.

I feel that I have gathered lots of experience and learnt a lot during the programme, and I have also found the people I have worked with very helpful and friendly, and this has certainly helped my enjoyment of the programme.

4. How valued do you feel by BDO?

While I did get the impression that most of the work I did was genuinely useful, I did find that at times people were looking for work for me to do. The work I did, though, was appreciated and the managers I worked for were grateful.

I felt that the overall organisation of the programme was very good, as I could see on the resource planner what jobs I was supposed to be working on, and if I got moved to a different job, I was informed by the manager and told where to go and what to do.

I didn't receive any specific training, although when I was learning new skills (such as calling and casting accounts) I was given plenty of help and support.

Support has in general been very good. People have always been very receptive to any questions I've had, and the HR team has always been available to talk to if I had any problems.

Travel expenses are paid for, although the train ticket pre-booking system meant that I could not get a weekly ticket, and so I will have to expense back the cost of my tickets.

My sector had an away day for one of the afternoons I was here, when we all went to a club to do 'It's a knockout'. I felt that this was a fantastic way to meet people in a relaxed environment.

9a. Would you recommend BDO to a friend? *

I have enjoyed the time I spent here, and felt also that I have learnt a lot and gained some valuable experience. All the people I've met have been friendly and helpful, and the overall feel of the office was very positive.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to BDO? *

I would recommend that future applicants put a good deal of effort into the presentation required at the interview stage, and also to research the company - and make sure you know the core values when you go into the interview.