Technical Engineer Apprentice at Leonardo

Edinburgh
Apprenticeship - Higher Level (Level 4)
11th June 2015

Connect with Leonardo

8.7/10

My role as a Selex ES Apprentice is to move about different departments within 3 month timescales and gain the skills needed to become a qualified engineer. Within placements have to complete Logs to show my evidence of jobs and complete Knowledge Questions.

Since I started my Apprenticeship in September 2014 I have really developed my knowledge and understanding about certain aspects of engineering. I have gained qualifications and learned a number of different hand skills at college and at work.

I really enjoy the apprenticeship as it is allowing me to gain qualifications while being paid and putting the knowledge I learn at college into practice at work.

4. How valued do you feel by Leonardo?

Within Selex I feel the employees have a high respect level for the apprentices and give a lot of their time up to help us with our SVQ and further develop our knowledge.

The programme is pretty well organised. Some placements give you study time for college and always give you support. 3 month meetings are arranged with my apprentice manager to discuss my work progress and any problems I may have.

Support is always available from our training provider. All you need to do is organise a meeting and discuss whatever issues you have or any problems.

I receive a lot of support from my employer. Within Selex everyone is willing to give support and have a chat about any problems you may possibly have.

The salary within Selex is reasonable for starting your working life and can cover all costs such as travel, social and daily. Living costs it is difficult.

There are many company events such as football, paintball etc. There are works nights out which are always good fun and also a lot of charity events.

9a. Would you recommend Leonardo to a friend? *

Selex is a fantastic place to work with lots to learn and a chance to earn good money in the future. All the support in the world is offered so its a very good company to adapt you as a person.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Leonardo? *

Get the qualifications you need at school and seem very enthusiastic towards the company. Show you can be a valuable asset to the company and that you work hard.