Maintenance Engineer Apprenticeship - Level 3 (Dowty)
by GE Aviation
Maintenance Engineer Apprentice, Dowty - Level 3
Are you interested in STEM, aviation or engineering? Dowty Propellers is part of GE Aviation and a world-leader in propeller manufacturing for aircraft and hovercraft. A Dowty Propellers Maintenance Engineering apprenticeship will give you a wide-ranging experience from maintaining and repair high-tech manufacturing plant equipment to controlling and updating our digital factory.
Our Maintenance Engineering apprentices are also involved in testing, inspecting and maintaining mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic and electrical systems. Dowty Apprentices of 2022 will also have the unique opportunity of joining the company in our purpose-built ‘Brilliant Factory’. The new facility houses our manufacturing, repair and development businesses for the first time in our history. It is an exciting time for us all!
The Dowty Propellers apprenticeship will pay you a salary while you work towards an engineering qualification and give you a huge array of practical skills. Using cutting edge technology and innovative materials, our apprentices truly are considered our future leaders within our business.
The Dowty Maintenance Engineering Apprenticeship is an exciting three-year programme that provides all the skills an individual would need to kickstart their career in aviation.
The programme breakdown is as follows:
- Two days’ study at a college, working towards an NVQ
- Real-life engineering projects, designed to fast-track your skills and business knowledge
- Extra-curricular activities to grow key skills such as teamwork, collaboration and self-confidence
- Two days per week at a college, working towards L3 diploma in Mechatronics Maintenance
- Three days per week working in our Brilliant Factory
- Rotations will take the apprentice on their learning journey through all aspects of maintaining the factory
- Full time working within the business
- Completing the rotation programme to cover all aspects of what we do
- Complete L3 diploma in Mechatronics Maintenance Technician
Our apprentices are assigned projects by the business to grow their wider skills in project management, resource management and maintenance. The Dowty Training team support and mentor our apprenticeship programme and provide soft-skills training to help our apprentices grow to fulfil their potential.
- A successful candidate would have GCSE (or equivalent) passes at grade 4 (C), or above, in English Language, Mathematics and either a Science or Technology based subject and one other GCSE; overall four GCSEs at grade 4 and above. Equivalent qualifications or experience may be considered.
- Experience and/or extra-curricular activities in a technical field would be advantageous
- A positive attitude, with an eagerness to learn
- Ability to problem solve
- Good interpersonal skills
- Capable of prioritizing and multi-tasking
- Able to work effectively within diverse teams
1st Stage: Apply with CV and Supporting Statement
- Supporting Statement of no more than 500 words
- Use the Supporting Statement to explain why you want to join Dowty Propellers and what you will bring to the apprentice programme
- Highlight in your Supporting Statement any relevant skills and experience you have that make you a competitive candidate for the programme
2nd Stage: Video Interview
- Record answers to a selection of questions on you and your experiences
- A chance to add life to your application
- Face-to-Face Assessment Centre, held in February 2022
- Consists of Interview, group activity, individual exercise and a tour
Offers will be made as soon as possible after the Assessment Centre, to start the apprenticeship at the end of August 2022.
At GE Aviation, developing people is embedded in our culture and integral to our growth. Here you’ll work collaboratively and cross-functionally with the highest caliber talent, utilizing cutting-edge technology and processes. If you’re passionate about generating advances in aviation to solve some of the world’s toughest problems and are looking for a career rich with challenges and unlimited opportunities for growth and advancement, then join GE Aviation as we rise to the challenge of building a world that works.
In addition to a competitive base salary, here at GE Aviation we understand the importance of Total Reward. Our flexible benefits plan, called FlexChoice, gives you freedom, choice and flexibility in the way you receive your benefits, as well as giving you the opportunity to make savings where possible.
As a new joiner to GE, we are pleased to be able to offer you the following as default in your benefit fund, which you can then tailor to meet your individual needs:
- Non-contributory Pension
- Life Assurance
- Group income protection
- Private medical cover
- 26 days holiday, with flexible option to buy or sell
Right to Work
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, under the applicable UK immigration rules as may be in place from time to time, it may be that candidates who do not currently have the right to work in the UK may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled candidate who does not require sponsorship is available to take up the post.
Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) clearance is required and must be maintained for this role. Please note that in the event that BPSS clearance cannot be obtained, you may not be eligible for the role and/or any offer of employment may be withdrawn on grounds of national security.
About GE Aviation
At GE Aviation, we invent the future of flight, lift people up, and bring them home safely. Whether we’re manufacturing components for our GE9X engines, driving innovation in fuel and noise reduction, or unlocking new opportunities to grow and deliver more productivity, the GE Aviation teams are dedicated to moving the aerospace industry forward.
As one of the largest commercial aircraft engine maintenance facilities in the world, with annual sales of over $2.9bn, the business works with over 90 customers worldwide, including Emirates, TUI, Lufthansa, Delta, United, ANA and British Airways.
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button.
Applications may close before the deadline, so please apply early to avoid disappointment.