Water Process Technician Level 3 Apprenticeship at Southern Water
Connect with Southern Water
Water Process Technician Level 3 Apprenticeship
Annual Salary: £15,500
Why have a career in Water?
Without water, life as we know it would be impossible. Every day, we rely on it for drinking, washing and cleaning. It helps create the energy we need for heat and light. It’s also essential to the products we enjoy and the natural world we depend upon.
Yet the South East faces a future of more people and less water. Our population is growing fast, and climate change is bringing greater risk of both drought and flooding.
In the water industry, your work will help to address these challenges and give people access to sustainable, high-quality water and wastewater services for decades to come.
The South East is also home to over 700 miles of coastline, two National Parks, four Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and some of the world’s rarest chalk streams. As well as working within these breath-taking environments, your activities will help preserve them for generations to come.
Each day, over four million people across Sussex, Kent, Hampshire and the Isle of Wight count on us for their essential water or wastewater services. Our work is vital, because we’re providing water for life.
Why start your career with Southern Water?
Do you want to make a difference? At Southern Water, you work will help to enhance health and wellbeing, protect and improve the environment and sustain the economy. You’ll also play an important role in helping us deliver a resilient water future for the South East.
Are you a natural collaborator with a strong moral compass and high standards? If so, you’ll fit right in. Everything we do is underpinned by three values: succeeding together, doing the right thing and always improving.
Do you want to bring your authentic self to work every day? We do too. That’s why we’re building an inclusive culture and are proud to offer equal opportunities regardless of age, cultural background, disability, gender, marital status, nationality, political belief, race, religion or sexual orientation. We believe the unique perspectives and experiences each of us brings make us stronger.
What is a Process Technician in Water Treatment?
Process Technician roles are key to us achieving consistent, high quality water supply to our communities. The role of a process operator is to monitor and adjust the operation of the water treatment works, booster pumping stations and reservoirs in the area to ensure that they are maintained and operated to be compliant with water quality standards, environmental regulations and health and safety standards.
You will be required to carry out some hand held sampling using portable instruments in order to understand the water treatment process and the consequences if water quality changes. No two days are the same and you will always be earning and adapting in this role. Treatment practices change and sites are ever evolving so being reactive, flexible and adaptable to change is important.
Your role as a Process Technician covers a variety of different tasks that will prepare you well for future roles in the water industry. Your key tasks will be to:
- Oversee continuous operation WSW – Water Supply works, WSR water service reservoir and WBS Water booster station.
- Undertake basic routine maintenance.
- Undertake site security inspections and understand the importance of security of supply
- Maintain records of plant performance.
- General housekeeping of sites – big drive for site hygiene and understanding that food as a consumable.
- Maintain that water quality is fit for supply to protect public health.
- Respond to high level alarms.
- Support customers and manage customer expectations.
- Maintain a thorough site diary on works completed – using mobile devices and tablets.
- Assist with defective maintenance tasks.
How will you develop?
On completion of the course these roles will develop into Network Inspector roles within the business. Full training will be provided through shadowing teammates, online training and informal classroom based courses.
You will have key contacts with a large team of operators, technical coordinators and the Field Performance Manager in your area. You will have very close contact with the Asset Maintenance Team, ICA Technicians and Process Scientists, communicating with them via a weekly HUB. Also, less frequent contact with Hydro Geologists. All of these are future development options for our operators depending on your interests.
Personal and Interpersonal Skills
- Must be willing to work as part of a team to deliver excellent performance. Team work is vital.
- Must be adaptable, flexible, patient, reliable and self-motivated as the plan changes day to day.
- Have the ability to talk to and appease our customers.
- Has good time management skills and has the ability to make choices in a high pressure environment.
- Must have confidence to work effectively and efficiently on their own.
- GCSE/Level 2 English and Maths
Roles Available - 6
1x Weatherlees – East Kent
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button.
Applications may close before the deadline, so please apply early to avoid disappointment.