Heavy Vehicle Mechanic Level 3 Apprenticeship
The aim of this Heavy Vehicle Apprenticeship programme is to equip our apprentices with the skills and knowledge to competently maintain our fleet of vehicles whilst achieving a industry recognised Level 3 qualification.
Have you always had a passion or interest for all things mechanical? Did you tinker with vehicles and engines and wondered how to make a career out of it? If so, why not apply to be part of our programme. As a HGV Apprentice, you will form part of a professional, on site engineering team who are responsible for maintaining our large fleet. To ensure this fleet is serviced and maintained to the highest standards, we are looking for driven, enthusiastic and self motivated individuals to join our team.
Vehicle servicing and maintenance is challenging, practical work, every vehicle will present a new problem to solve but you’ll feel satisfied when the job is done and the vehicle is back on the road.
Some of the tasks you will be working on include:
- Vehicle safety inspections
- Observing and assisting senior technicians
- Servicing vehicles – carrying out checks and general maintenance according to the manufacturers’ guidelines
- Repairing and replacing faulty parts and components
- Maintaining repair and service records
- Following health and safety procedures
- Using engineering tools and equipment - including hand and power tools, engineering and technical manuals and diagnostic and electrical measuring equipment
Training to be provided
S&B Automotive Academy is a specialist automotive training provider located in Bristol. S&B works in partnership with Dennis Eagle to deliver the heavy vehicle apprenticeship programme over a 3 year period, which culminates in an end point assessment.
Training is delivered in the workplace and via seven, one-week college blocks per year at S&B Automotive Academy, this means you will be required to travel to the college and stay in accommodation whilst on blocks for the duration of the programme. All associated costs for training are met by the employer and there will be no cost to you.
The apprentice will be assigned a workplace mentor and a college mentor who will offer support, advice and guidance by monitoring progress through the use of electronic logbook which both employer and apprentice will have access to 24/7 365 days a week.
As a result, you will receive the following qualification(s):
- Level 3 Heavy Vehicle Service and Maintenance Technician Apprenticeship Standard
- Level 2 Functional Skills in maths & English (if not already achieved)
- Excellent communication & listening skills
- Problem solver and have attention to detail
- Good practical skills
- Be patient & well organised
- Comfortable with the use of up to date information technology
- The ability to work as part of a team, supporting a number of colleagues
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions
- Work experience/prior knowledge is beneficial but not essential
- Good time keeping and willing to learn
- Team player/working with others
- Motivation for the role/automotive and engineering interest
- Personal responsibility and career ownership
- Proactive approach in maintaining customer standards
- Be safety conscious
We are interested to hear from people with any of these qualities:
- A passion for engineering
- Able to demonstrate a good mechanical aptitude
- Proactive, highly motivated and keen to develop new skills
- Numerate with good attention to detail
- Ability to work on multiple tasks
- Demonstrable abilities of honesty and reliability
- GCSEs, Functional Skills or Key Skills at grade C/4 or above in English and maths (or equivalent)
- Predicated grades are accepted but any offer will be provisional until proof of results are provided
- As a company, we are committed to providing development and training opportunities to our employees
- This apprenticeship is the grounding for your future development and there are lots of opportunities to develop your career within our company
- At the successful completion of training, the intention is for the apprentice to be offered full-time employment as a skilled heavy vehicle technician
About Dennis Eagle Ltd
Dennis Eagle is a world leading supplier of Refuse Collection Trucks and UK market leader. Our experience and expertise allows us to produce pioneering Refuse Collection Vehicles fully tailored to the needs of our customers. Our in-house research and development teams strive to constantly improve our products with innovative engineering solutions to meet the tough and ever-evolving requirements of legislation and our customers. As a result, our acclaimed Refuse Collection Vehicles are exported internationally to markets as far away as Australia.
We currently service over 60% of the UK‘s councils and are Britain’s market leader with our famous ‘DENNIS’ name seen daily across UK streets. Our UK Head Office and principle manufacturing site is located in Warwick. We also manufacture in Blackpool where our cabs are produced.
We provide industry leading Aftermarket support solutions with service centres across the UK. Our success and market share can equally be attributed to our core values as our product, Dennis Eagle, strives to offer high levels of customer attention, full life-cycle vehicle support and always seeks to exceed expectations. We take our role as a key player in the waste management industry very seriously, our commitment to our environmental responsibilities drives us to invest in more efficient factories, production techniques and vehicles.
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button.