Painter & Decorator Level 2 Apprenticeship - London at Redrow
This job's deadline has passed. Click here to see what similar jobs we have
Painter & Decorator Level 2 Apprenticeship - London
You will work with experienced tradesmen of a wide range of disciplines, as well as being supported by your Site Manager and the Redrow team to complete an industry standard qualification, as well as functional skills learning (if required).
Typical tasks include:
- Working out the quantity of materials needed for the job by taking surface measurements or by looking at job specifications or drawings
- Erecting scaffolding, cradles and ladders and place dustsheets to protect areas from dripping paint
- Removing old paint or paper by sanding or scraping or by using blowtorches or liquid paint removers and, when removing old paper, by using steam strippers
- Preparing surfaces by fixing woodwork, filling or sealing holes, cracks and joins and washing them down to remove dust and grease
- Selecting and preparing paints to match colours by the addition of tints
- Brushing, rolling or spraying the paints, stains, varnishes and other finishes
- When wallpapering, setting out the area according to the pattern match and starting point in the room, cutting the paper to the appropriate length, applying paste to the back of each strip and hanging the paper on the wall, smoothing out any wrinkles or bubbles
- Spraying paint surfaces using a spray gun or specialised equipment
- Applying decorative paint finishes such as stencils, colour glaze, graining, marbling and lettering
- Washing equipment and clean work areas
Training to be provided
Painter and Decorator Level 2 Apprenticeship Standard:
- On and off the job training leading to the recognised industry standard
- Coordination and dexterity
- Relevant tool/trade skills or prior experience desirable but training provided throughout apprenticeship
- Attention to detail
- Maths and English GCSE grade 4/C or above (or equivalent) preferable
- Opportunity to progress to trainee site assistant programme for the best apprentices, leading to site management and further training
- Majority of apprentices who complete qualifications and perform well remain with contractor in full time roles upon completion, others have gone on to start their own firms or successfully subcontract to bigger groups
Things to consider
- You will be required to attend college and complete qualifications as part of your apprenticeship as well as time on site
- Time keeping and attendance are extremely important
- Trade apprentices will work outdoors the majority of the year in all weathers
- The ability to cope with the physical demands of the role and commitment are essential
Redrow are one of the most successful house builders in the UK. Over our 40 year history, we have built a unique reputation for quality. As a firm, we pride ourselves on creating beautiful homes that communities love to live in and we apply the same level of care and attention to developing our apprentices and trainees too.
Quality is the cornerstone of our business. So from the moment you join us, you can be sure of one thing. You’ll be working with – and learning from – the very best. Even if you’re an experienced professional, you’ll learn something new every day. At Redrow, we believe you can never stop improving. That’s why we’ll make a major investment in your training and will encourage you to develop your skills irrespective of your level or experience. You’ll also find we’re a great employer in other regards too.
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button.