Aircraft Workshop Level 2 Apprenticeship at British Airways
This job's deadline has passed. Click here to see what similar jobs we have
Connect with British Airways
Aircraft Workshop Level 2 Apprenticeship
Over three and a half years, you’ll earn your stripes under the best engineers in the business. They’ll hone your engineering skills, giving you aircraft components to repair in both ‘ramp’ and ‘hangar’ environments. You’ll rotate through different workshops, picking up various sets of knowledge, so you understand the nature of every highly sophisticated component. Every day will feel new, and you’re going to be busy. Alongside training on the job, you’ll be studying for the qualifications you need to become one of our future Workshop Engineers.
You’ll have the confidence to communicate with people at all levels and the common sense to act on your own initiative. It can be high-pressure work and you might need to adapt to industry changes, while always putting safety first. But, as regulated as this environment can be, we’ll also look to you for fresh ideas. We want your input on everything from process to practice.
- Work with our engineering teams and develop your skills fixing aircraft components and conducting ‘on-wing’ repairs across our full fleet of aircraft.
- Be involved in component workshop checks and help with significant composite and sheet metal repairs. You’ll be working with and repairing components using the latest materials, processes and technologies, from a simple panel job to a complete engine thrust reverser.
- Learn about the importance of health, safety and security in everything our engineering teams do.
- Develop your engineering skills and knowledge through a combination of on-the-job learning and coursework.
- Gain formal qualifications that will set you up for a successful career as an Aircraft Workshop Technician.
What we look for
- Must hold or be predicted to obtain the following grades before the Apprenticeship start date:
- Five GCSE grades 9 -4 (A*-C) or equivalent (must include Science, Maths & English; minimum 5 (C)) achieved prior to start date.
- Your application will not be considered if you have achieved prior qualifications in the following:
- HNC/HND or Degree in Engineering.
- BTEC Level 3 in Engineering.
- Genuine interest in and passion for engineering.
- Strong communication skills.
- Awareness of safety issues.
- Self-motivation to learn and develop.
- Ability to act on own initiative.
- Adaptability to change.
- Ability to work in team.
Foundation qualification (Level 2) in Manufacturing delivered full time at Kingston College.
Year 2 & 3
Completion of your Advanced Apprenticeship (Level 3) as a Workshop Mechanic, obtaining a BTEC Level 3 in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering and a Level 3 NVQ Extended Diploma in Mechanical Manufacturing Engineering.
We will also supplement your learning with additional Aircraft related training in Air Legislation, Human Factors and Aircraft Composite repairs.
Programme start dates vary from September 2020 to January 2021
Important application information
- You will be required to attend college full time in Kingston upon Thames and must be able to travel or relocate.
As part of your application process, we will be asking you a few questions to establish if you are eligible for funding as part of this apprenticeship. All information you give will be checked and verified later.
Here is what you will be asked for when you apply:
- Confirmation that you don’t already hold a qualification in the subject area of the Apprenticeship at the same or a higher level.
- Are you able to prove that you have the right to live and work full time in the UK, without sponsorship from British Airways?
- Do you hold a valid and current passport for the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland?
- Can you confirm that you have not lived or worked outside of the UK with-in the last three years?
If you are able to satisfy the above entry and eligibility criteria, then we encourage you to apply!
If you’re not a UK passport holder we’ll need you confirm that you don’t already have a disqualifying qualification, that you have lived in the UK continuously for the last three years, and that, if you hold a visa, you don’t have any work restrictions.
Based on your responses we’ll do some further checks to confirm your eligibility for the programme.
About British Airways
Get somewhere at British Airways.
We’re made of pretty special stuff at British Airways. And it’s exactly opportunities like our inspiring apprenticeships that make us. Staying true to our world-famous history, while looking to our future through the eyes of modern Britain, we’re showing people they can be as proud of their career as the flag they fly.
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button.