Aircraft Maintenance Level 2 Apprenticeship
On this three-year programme, you’ll work alongside, and learn from some incredibly talented engineers. Every day, you’ll develop your skills on real aircraft, in a real job. Over a series of rotations, you’ll work on all our aircraft fleets, gaining the knowhow to help keep them in perfect working order. You’re going to be busy. Alongside comprehensive on-the-job training, you’ll be studying towards the qualifications you need to become one of our future Aircraft Engineers.
You’ll need the confidence to communicate with people at all levels, and the common sense to act on your own initiative. It can be high-pressure work in an ever-changing business. You’ll need the flexibility to adapt to different demands, while always putting safety first. As you’ll be a valued part of the team, your input will be welcome on everything from process to practice.
Please note, that the initial induction to the business for this Apprenticeship will take place at our London Heathrow base. For the remainder of the first year of this Apprenticeship you will then be based off-site and living away from home.
- Work with our engineering teams and develop your skills by helping with the maintenance of our full fleet of aircraft.
- Be involved in routine aircraft servicing and help with any minor repairs or modifications.
- Learn about the importance of health, safety and security in everything our engineering teams do.
- Develop your engineering skills and knowledge through a combination of on-the-job learning and coursework.
- Gain formal qualifications that will set you up for a successful career as an Aircraft Mechanic or Engineer.
What we look for
- You need to hold, or be predicted to obtain, the following grades before the Apprenticeship:
- Five GCSE grades 9-4 (A*-C) or equivalent which must include Science, English & Maths.
- Maths must be minimum Level 5/6 (B).
- A genuine interest in, and passion for engineering.
- Strong communication skills.
- Awareness of safety issues.
- Self-motivation to learn and develop.
- Ability to act on own initiative.
- Adaptability to change.
Foundation qualification Level 2 Diploma in Aerospace and Aviation Engineering, City and Guilds 4605-2 (based off-site and living away from home).
Year 2 & 3
Advanced Apprenticeship (Level 3) as Aircraft Maintenance Fitter/Technician (Fixed and Rotary Wing); NVQ level 3 Extended Diploma in Aeronautical Engineering & Level 3 On-Aircraft Maintenance A Licence Course.
Programme start dates vary from September 2020 to January 2021
Important qualification information
- You must have achieved your GCSEs before starting in September 2020.
- You are ineligible for the Apprenticeship if you hold, or are due to achieve, any of the following qualifications (please look out for experienced Engineer roles on our team instead).
- A City & Guilds Aircraft Maintenance qualification – Category A licence.
- An HNC/HND or degree in Engineering.
- Any EASA Part 66 A or B license modules.
- Level 2 NVQ in Performing Engineering Operations if achieved with aeronautical pathway/units.
As part of your application process, we will be asking you a few questions to establish if you are eligible for funding as part of this apprenticeship. All information you give will be checked and verified later.
Here is what you will be asked for when you apply:
- Confirmation that you don’t already hold a qualification in the subject area of the Apprenticeship at the same or a higher level.
- Are you able to prove that you have the right to live and work full time in the UK, without sponsorship from British Airways?
- Do you hold a valid and current passport for the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland?
- Can you confirm that you have not lived or worked outside of the UK with-in the last three years?
If you are able to satisfy the above entry and eligibility criteria, then we encourage you to apply!
If you’re not a UK passport holder we’ll need you confirm that you don’t already have a disqualifying qualification, that you have lived in the UK continuously for the last three years, and that, if you hold a visa, you don’t have any work restrictions.
Based on your responses we’ll do some further checks to confirm your eligibility for the programme.
About British Airways
Get somewhere at British Airways.
We’re made of pretty special stuff at British Airways. And it’s exactly opportunities like our inspiring apprenticeships that make us. Staying true to our world-famous history, while looking to our future through the eyes of modern Britain, we’re showing people they can be as proud of their career as the flag they fly.
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button.Apply for this role
Awards for British Airways
Get personalised jobs straight to your inbox
Save time job hunting - get tailored job opportunities sent straight to you!