Tax School Leaver Programme
Autumn 2020 Intake
Join us and you’ll shape more than just your career
We believe we’re best positioned to make a meaningful impact on the economy. Every day, we provide a diverse range of organisations with the kind of business and financial advice it takes to do this. Our ideas and insight empower our clients to make big decisions about the future and unlock sustainable growth. With a relentless focus on quality and integrity, we help businesses, communities and our people to flourish.
More about the programme
We’ve designed our five-year school lever programme to take you on a journey from school leaver to professionally qualified business adviser. Enjoy five years of studying, learning and gaining real-work experience, working with organisations of all shapes and sizes across a variety of sectors. Anyone without a degree can join this programme. If you join us straight after your A-levels, you could qualify a year earlier than your peers who go to uni.
In that time, you’ll pack in lots of learning and new experiences. You’ll study and revise for your exams. You’ll also have the chance to work on a variety of exciting projects and help provide a great client service.
We’ve a variety of corporate and specialist tax teams here. Whichever one you join, you’ll gain hands-on experience, working with a variety of dynamic clients, from organisations in media and entertainment to finance to charities.
You’ll be given the opportunity to specialise in one of the following areas depending on location:
Specialist Services Tax teams
- Employment Taxes (Employer Solutions)
We’ll give you further information about the type of work these teams do a little bit further into the application process. If you successfully make it to Experience Day, you will be considered across all the pods but we will reach out to you before then to find out if you have a preference.
First, you'll study towards a professional qualification starting by completing the ATT (Association of Taxation Technicians). Then you’ll move on to become ACA (Associate Chartered Accountant) or CTA (Chartered Tax Adviser) qualified.
What’s in it for you?
- Own your own work. The work you’ll do with your clients is of huge importance. After all, bad tax advice can lead to damaged reputations and expensive consequences. You’ll help your clients manage their tax obligations efficiently and responsibly. From early on, you could have your own client portfolio.
- Be a part of a team. You’ll work with colleagues who, like you, are passionate about supporting, advising and helping all kinds of businesses achieve their potential. Collaboration is one of our key values that underpins our culture so your input will be encouraged from day one and you’ll be surrounded by people ready to help you – whether it be within your immediate team or the wider Grant Thornton community.
- Build your brand. Working closely with your people manager, you will find areas where you can develop, collaborate and communicate more effectively with colleagues and clients at all levels. You will get the opportunity to build your brand as a trusted adviser to clients and within our firm.
- Progress in your career. As well as learning on-the-job, you’ll enjoy rigorous training, starting with your orientation that will immerse you in our business, vision and purpose. At the end of the programme, you’ll become professionally qualified and all kinds of opportunities will open up.
The minimum criteria
We have a flexible approach to academic entry requirements. We’ll consider your academic achievements, but your strengths, motivations and connection with us and our values are equally as important. We’re looking for people with a broad range of interests and experiences.
Do you care about the same things we do?
We have six values we work by. When we meet, we’ll want you to show us how they’re important to you, too.
- Collaboration: We work together, share ideas and always make time to help each other out.
- Leadership: Everyone has the chance to lead their own projects.
- Excellence: Quality is central to our purpose. Our clients rely on us to make sure they do the right thing and are operating within the law. We pride ourselves on having high standards and integrity, and we’re looking for people who will do what’s right even when no one’s looking.
- Agility: The world moves quickly. To keep up, we stay flexible – changing approaches, changing projects, working offline, online, together and alone to get things done.
- Respect: A given, of course: we value each other and our clients. We listen, we understand, we care.
- Responsibility: The decisions we make and advice we give affects people’s lives and livelihoods. We take that seriously and always do well by doing what’s right.
Share ideas and profits
Unlike most firms, we’re also a shared enterprise. So when the firm does well, everyone does well by taking home a share of the profits. Of course, to get those profits, we need to share ideas and share responsibility for our work, too.
Bring your whole self
Now you’ve seen our values, it shouldn’t be a surprise that we’re creating a respectful, open, diverse place to work. We are an inclusive employer and committed to ensure our workforce is representative of our diverse society. Building an inclusive culture, where we value difference and respect our colleagues, is not just the right thing to do, it helps our people to perform at the best of their ability and realise their potential.
"We are committed to making sure that the opportunities within our firm are equally accessible for everyone – regardless of background or gender." - Dave Dunckley, CEO
About Grant Thornton
Looking for a fulfilling career? One that can have a wider impact on society? At Grant Thornton, that's precisely what we offer. A career where you can have your ideas implemented. Your opinions heard. Your contributions valued. Not just by your colleagues, but by coveted clients. So bring your passion, ambitions and inspiration, and together let’s make it happen.
We believe we’re best positioned to make a meaningful impact on the economy. After all, we provide organisations with the business and financial advice they need to make big decisions and unlock sustainable growth. As one of our trainee business advisers, you’ll help us provide our clients with the insight and ideas they need for the future of their business.
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button.Apply for this role
Get personalised jobs straight to your inbox
Save time job hunting - get tailored job opportunities sent straight to you!
Latests jobs from Grant Thornton
The Perks of being a School Leaver - Molly Crow The recent release...