Civil Engineering Degree Apprenticeship at EDF Energy
This job's deadline has passed. Click here to see what similar jobs we have
Connect with EDF Energy
Civil Engineering Degree Apprenticeship
Our Civil Engineering Degree Apprenticeship offers the opportunity to be part of the once in a lifetime Hinkley Point C project. Hinkley Point C (HPC) will be the first in a new generation of nuclear power stations in the UK and one of the largest infrastructure projects in Europe. Sizewell C (SZC) will be the second of this generation to be built in the UK, following the construction of HPC.
During the five year programme you’ll learn from industry experts and gain valuable experience all whilst studying towards a Civil Engineering Site Management degree.
You’ll study for a Civil Engineering Site Management degree, over five years, whilst working on Hinkley Point C power station in roles such as construction, safety, environment and surveillance, to name a few.
During the scheme you’ll follow the Civil Engineering Site Management Apprentice Standard, which is a formal degree apprenticeship.
The majority of your tuition will fall within four, two-week residential periods, delivered by the University of Exeter. You’ll also study elements of the degree during time at work. The residential periods will be structured around your modules and will include lectures, seminars and workshops. You’ll have one to one support from an academic mentor and during these periods will also get time to socialise with your peers.
During your time working on Hinkley Point C, you’ll take on tasks such as:
- Assisting design teams with civil engineering solutions
- Supervision of specialist contractors
- Contributing to the control of health and safety on the project
- Recording, control and reporting of progress on the project
- Contributing to the minimisation of the environmental impact of the project
- Controlling the quality of works on the project
As you progress through your apprenticeship you will gain more knowledge and experience. You’ll use this to:
- Ensure that safe systems of work are in place on site and that all staff adhere to them
- Translate design information to construction teams so they can construct the project effectively and efficiently
- Manage the productivity on the site so that the project is completed on time
- Ensure that the project is completed to the specification and quality needed by the client
- Manage the activity on site in a way that adheres to cost and contract constraints
- Ensure that the site has minimal negative impact on the environment and community
- Manage interfaces between stakeholders associated with the project
We also have one opportunity working on our transformational Sizewell C project. This will still include study at the University of Exeter and your attachments, whilst on the scheme, will be at HPC and Sizewell C. Due to the diversity of the scheme you will need to be based in the South West for the duration of the apprenticeship. Upon completion of the scheme your first substantive role would be working on Sizewell C based in the Suffolk/South East area. If you wish to be considered for this exciting opportunity please select this from the option on the application form.
What we’re looking for
- Three A-Levels (at Grade C or above), including Maths and a science subject or A-Level Maths and a relevant BTEC Extended Diploma (2010) or a relevant BTEC Extended Diploma (2016), dependent on the modules studied. Full entry requirements can be viewed on the University of Exeter website here.
- Ability to demonstrate enthusiasm for engineering in the nuclear industry.
- Clear ambition to develop a career within EDF Energy.
- Ability to engage people at all levels and work within a team.
- Ability to manage the responsibilities of both work and study.
Where we could take you
On completion of your apprenticeship you’ll have a full BEng Civil Engineering Site Management degree from the University of Exeter and 5 years of practical work experience with EDF Energy. You’ll also have the potential to gain your IEng qualification with the Institute of Civil Engineers (ICE). You’ll be in the best possible position to progress your career and develop the 9 attributes that define the qualities of a professionally qualified Civil Engineer: knowledge and understanding of Engineering, technical and practical application of Engineering, management and leadership, independent judgement and responsibility, commercial ability, health, safety and welfare, sustainable development, interpersonal skills, communication and professional commitment.
What’s in it for you?
- £17,335 a year (starting salary) with annual pay increases
- Help towards travel costs
- Generous pension scheme
- 25 days’ paid holiday
- Flexible benefits
- Support from an EDF Energy Mentor, Line Manager and Buddy throughout the apprenticeship
About EDF Energy
EDF Energy is a core part of the EDF Group, one of the largest energy companies in Europe with key business operations in the UK, France, Italy and Belgium. We're the UK’s largest producer of low-carbon electricity, the biggest supplier of electricity by volume in Great Britain, the largest supplier to British businesses and we employ more than 13,000 people. We operate nuclear, coal and gas power stations, wind farms, and combined heat & power plants. We have a focus on safe, dependable energy generation and an ethos of service excellence. We are playing a leading role in new nuclear build in the UK to secure a bright future for the combined business and its employees.
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button.View Similar Jobs
Get personalised jobs straight to your inbox
Save time job hunting - get tailored job opportunities sent straight to you!