About Balfour Beatty
Do you want to work for a worldwide, market leading Company? A company that has delivered some of the most iconic projects, globally over the last 100 years, with market leading capabilities across the construction, services and rail sectors? Then we have an amazing opportunity for you – depending on project requirements, you will be site based at Hinkley.
Take a look at what we do:
Balfour Beatty is the UK’s largest construction and infrastructure business. Each day our projects change people’s lives and communities for the better. We built the famous London Aquatic Centre and you’ll find our mark in all kinds of infrastructure like schools and hospitals, major roads, rail and power networks. Each year we seek the best apprentices to come and join our ever changing business.
Apprentice Quality Engineer
To be a member of the project quality team to work to the direction of the Project Quality Lead and Quality Engineers in conducting Quality Assurance and Quality Control work as a trainee within the team and to learn through experience and structured learning, the necessary competencies to fulfil the role of Project Quality Engineer.
Your responsibilities include:
To actively engage with the project Quality team and project to gain the necessary knowledge and experience to complete the apprenticeship in the 4 years period and achieve Competent Quality Engineer Status.
- Carry out Quality Assurance work under supervision of experienced members of the team.
- Study for a recognised qualification in Quality Assurance and Inspection
- Attain and Internal Audit & Lead Audit Qualification over the lifetime of the apprenticeship.
- Ensure that work assignments and qualification study work is completed and submitted on time.
- Attend Balfour Beatty training when organised.
- Participate in review sessions with line managers and emerging talent team as required.
- Work with others to ensure systems are in place, in conjunction with the Project Manager as appropriate, which allow the required specification to be clearly agreed with customers, customers’ technical representatives, project, sub-contractor supply chain
- Work with others to ensure systems are in place to allow sample and benchmark plans to be established and agreed with customer, and sub-contractor supply chain
- Assist in developing specific project / task quality plans
- Work with others to undertake assurance that the Quality Plan is being followed and that requirements are being met
- Support the development of either Project or Business Stream Quality strategies and plans and the implementation of measurement frameworks across the scope of services and full project lifecycle
- Support the Quality team in dealing with external auditing governing bodies to maintain existing certification and continuous improvement
- By using the principles of quality assurance, and where appropriate technical Integrity, ensure the customer requirements are clearly understood and that Quality Control mechanisms are in place that provide assurance that the asset and/or service delivers as designed/required
- Work with others to produce project and/or business quality reports as required
- Support the delivery of business stream quality programs and actions
- Assist in training, coaching & developing quality skills in business streams
- Support the establishment of a continuous improvement culture
- Undertake specific investigations and/or report on quality related issues as required.
- Drive efficiencies through early project involvement and explore options to provide lean construction by understanding customers’ needs and expectations
- Understand Lean principles and how to apply them in construction
- Seek to understand and implement the appropriate digital toolset to support the project governance and quality assurance/ measures on the projects
- Live the Balfour Beatty Values
What the Apprenticeship will offer:
You will study for and be expected to pass A Degree Apprenticeship in Nuclear Engineer and Nuclear Scientist within 5 Years.
You will also work towards the Appropriate Level of Membership of The Chartered Quality Institute
Who we’re looking for:
The following qualities/experience are essential:
- 5 GCSEs, Including Maths and English at Grade C or equivalent
- 2 A Levels in Science & Engineering disciplines and a higher level maths qualification.
The following qualities/experience are desirable:
- Work experience or Part time employment
- Has good interpersonal and communication skills
- Good at building relationships and can influence effectively.
Salary & benefits:
We offer a competitive salary and a flexible benefits package. Your professional institution fees and training will be covered.
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button below.Apply for this role
Get personalised jobs straight to your inbox
Save time job hunting - get tailored job opportunities sent straight to you!