Commercial Underwriter at Aviva

Liverpool

Connect with Aviva

8.7/10

As a commercial underwriter, I price mid-market insurance for businesses. I interact with brokers on a daily basis and extract information from presentations which they provide for me. I have to ensure pricing is adequate as it is key that I underwrite profitably. I have projects which I work on to support my day to day role, such as giving brokers presentations on products which we provide. This aids all parties involved as I am learning about products we provide, whilst also ensuring brokers are aware of the strength of Aviva's propositions.

During my time at Aviva I have learnt a vast amount about how businesses operate. Also, I have learnt about the issues insurers have with different types of businesses. During my time at here, I have helped pilot a new qualification, as well as completing exams which will help me achieve ACII status. Internally, I have completed licences which allow me to authorise larger risks by compiling portfolios.

I love the team I work within and the relationships I have built within the office. The culture is friendly and although I joined the business whilst it was going through a lot of change, I was never made to feel unwelcome. The scheme has by far surpassed my expectations and I feel this has been more valuable to me than a degree.

4. How valued do you feel by Aviva?

My manager gives me the freedom to participate in projects which he feels will be beneficial for my development. He pushes me to achieve the most I can and we have a good working relationship. In addition to this, I am always welcomed when I go to other branches and invited to go out after work with them on Fridays if I wish. This sort of culture is something which I value greatly, as it helps buld relationships throughout the company and when help is needed, you know it will be there.

My programme is organised primarily by myself and my manager and is adapted to suit what is best for the team and myself. I feel that internal qualifications are valued more than external at a team level, however I don't feel that is the case at a company level.

Lots, everyone in my team is experienced and they make it extremely easy to ask a question. The vast amount of knowledge within the team ensures that whenever I have a question an answer will be there.

Same as 6b

My travel costs are the main outgoing for me, but that is because I live quite far away from work. I believe my salary supports me well financially.

Yes, in branch we have events around once a month where we go out on a Friday for a meal or a drink. Also Aviva world is constantly filled with charity events which staff have participated in such as skydiving. Unfortunately, I have not participated in any of these.

9a. Would you recommend Aviva to a friend? *

Great ethos, supportive and lots of opportunities.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Aviva? *

Be yourself and be confident.