Product Design Engineer at Jaguar Land Rover

West Midlands
Degree Apprenticeship
April 2018

For the first year of the apprenticeship we are based full-time at a local college to complete a foundation degree in engineering. We work by a block system basis where we have 6 weeks in the workshop, and then 3 weeks in the classroom. During academic holidays, we are in the workplace with whatever department we have previously been assigned to. This usually includes training courses or in work projects.

I have developed a lot of new skills, I am currently undergoing a foundation degree, followed by a bachelors, and finally the possibility of a masters. There is lots of internal training, some compulsory others optional. It has helped build my confidence a lot.

I enjoy working here, my role involves a lot more scripting within the models as well so I enjoy that. Everyone is friendly and you're never short of help. I am most excited for the following years with daily activity being more 'in the workplace' based.

Everyone shows their appreciation for work you do and in return are always happy to help you. You can be recognised for the effort you put in and will be given more responsibility as a result.

The overall induction, training and work process is extremely well structured. It was a big take in for my year so its good to see that they can handle the amount of people and everyone knows what they're doing. Despite this, at the start of the year there were a few structural

Support is always available from anyone, everyone is happy to help and you never feel like you can't talk to someone or ask someone how to do something. It is a very good place to be.

It is extremely good pay. It allowed me to move in with some housemates and live very comfortably. In comparisons to other jobs/ apprenticeships the pay is very generous

There are lots of opportunities outside of work, you can help with CSR events to promote the company and there are lots of organised events that involve JLR and their employees.

9. Would you recommend Jaguar Land Rover to a friend?

It is an extremely good place to work with lots of different job roles and friendly people. Anyone looking to get into this industry would love working here.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Jaguar Land Rover?

The application process is well structured and they communicate with you well. They make you feel comfortable at the interview and assessment centre and if you get the Job you will love it. Ensure that you have plenty of work experience to backup your application process and bring something to the conversation in your interview